ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

My Linear Wipes are not looking smooth

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brandon AdamMy Linear Wipes are not looking smooth
by on Jan 26, 2014 at 8:08:00 am

Hello CC

I have been "mocking" some channel Seven PRG/super graphics and taking them quite seriously as I want them to be perfect and quite the same.

Here is a mock I produced using Linear Wipe within After effects. The issue I am having is, they are looking choppy and not the outcome I'm looking for. Either its too soft our comes in to hard, which results in loosing motion path for the Linear.

This PRG is the actual one used in the broadcast. It looks more slick and smoother on motion. Which I cant seem to get.
(watch from 3.29 seconds: Linear Wipe Appears)

I have rendering at the correct settings of 1024 by 576 PAL, Apple ProRess (LT). I have been using Easy Ease, and have messed around a lot with the Graph Editor, but yet, nothing has worked. So, any ideas on what I can do?

Thank you in advanced

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: My Linear Wipes are not looking smooth
by on Jan 26, 2014 at 6:32:13 pm

I downloaded both files from youtube so I could watch them frame by frame and they are included in the project i'm uploading(if you want to download from youtube, keepvid.com). Two things I noticed was the wipe you like more was done over 12 frames, the one you did was 7 frames, that's actually pretty significant. Secondly it looks like in the program they used two masks to complete the wipe. One at 50% opacity and the second at 100%. I used default ease out and in for moving the masks into place. Check out the project and see if it's more what you are trying to get.

7048_wipesoftfolder.zip

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Brandon AdamRe: My Linear Wipes are not looking smooth
by on Jan 27, 2014 at 12:40:10 am

Wow, thanks John. It looks more complicated then I thought. I reduced the frame rate from 50 to 25fps and it still looked amazing on motion. Any chance you can run me through the steps, in accomplishing the motion you have done? Also, with the opacity, I think thats due to it being interlaced.

Few things:

Resizing it to the original PRG.
And reducing the softness towards the end.

I posted this Video on another post which featured this Linear Wipe, and its what I was going for.

PRG contains - (Liar, Lair Boxing Day 8.30 on)

Thank you John, you have hit the nail on the head for what Im looking for!

Return to posts index

by on Jan 27, 2014 at 12:30:11 pm

Any chance you can run me through the steps, in accomplishing the motion you have done?

First I created the lower third---just the previous project with the hot white edges.
Bring that into a final comp and would locate into it's final position and scale appropriately---obviously I skipped moving it to it's lower right position in the project I uploaded.
Double click the rectangle mask tool to place a mask around the lower third.
At frame 12, Set a keyframe for mask shape.
Press "Shift+S" and at frame 5 set a keyframe for your ending Scale.
Go to frame 0 and set the Y scale to "0".
Go to Frame 5, click "Mask Path" and using the Marquee tool, select the right to vertex points and moved them so they just reveal a couple of pixels of the left side of the lower third.

At this point your lower third should scale up from 0% and reveal a thin edge on the left size, then the mask should reveal it. To set the ease out and in. Select the first mask point and press "Shift+cntl+F9", then the 2nd mask pointand "shift+F9" and that's it.

Glad I could help out.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."

Return to posts index

by on Jan 28, 2014 at 6:00:29 am

This was my attempt (quick draft) of the motion.

My attempt: 7059_testlowerthird.aep.zip

To me, it still needs some work on motion to get it right (like in the clip). If you don't mind downloading this clip to compare.

Thank you once again John.

Return to posts index

by on Jan 28, 2014 at 8:13:56 pm

I played around with it some more. First when you creating a motion graphic/animation like this one, you want to create the graphic in a precomp, bring that into your final composition and then animate. The way you did it, you had to animate the line and the solid and that wasn't necessary.

So I brought the entire thing into a final composition, and just animated the mask. I added ease out & in, and really played with the curves so pretty it's easing out as slow as possible and without much ease in at all. That's about as close as I can get it.

I'm just uploading the project file---my last upload has the assets I used: 7064_wipetransition.aep.zip

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

Return to posts index

by on Jan 28, 2014 at 9:23:17 pm

Thank you John for all the help you have given. I never though using the Mask tool to animate would be better than using just the usual Linear Wipe.

Return to posts index

by on Jan 29, 2014 at 1:54:24 pm

It's not necessarily better, just different. I initially used the mask because I thought you were trying to accomplish that differing opacity I saw in the video.

Glad I was able to help out.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]