ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Text layer into 3D layer

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Anthony EamensText layer into 3D layer
by on Jan 11, 2014 at 3:13:04 pm

I've recently re-installed After effects CC to try and add some flare to a design I'm working on and I'm struggling with something thats never occurred before.

I've imported a Photoshop document and retained the layers etc, everything is perfect. I want to animate the text layers in 3D space (Not 3D extrusion), and when I change my layer to a 3D layer the Z Axis is slightly off to the left, I want it front facing flat so I can animate it rotating straight down.
The 3D view is on Active Camera, when I change that to front its perfect. I tried resetting however this moves the text to the centre of the composition.

If its possible, can I reset the 3D axis on its own? or if I worked in Front view how would I transfer all the layers?

Return to posts index

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: Text layer into 3D layer
by on Jan 12, 2014 at 5:03:22 am

Use one of the View Axis modes which more often than not will set your 3D axes to align itself to a more friendly setting.

The View Axis Modes are to the immediate right of the Puppet Tool.

HTH
RoRK

Intensive mocha & AE Training in Singapore and Other Dangerous Locations

Imagineer Systems (mocha) Certified Instructor
& Adobe After Effects CS6 ACE/ACI

Return to posts index

Anthony EamensRe: Text layer into 3D layer
by on Jan 12, 2014 at 1:07:21 pm

Hi Roland,

Thank you for getting back to me. I looked at the axis mode tools however this didn't seem to do anything. I've made a better screen shot of what I am trying to achieve here.

Basically I am trying to animate a user interface for the iphone, therefore I only require it to be front facing. As from my image, I want to create Swinging Text from the top of the dark grey background which the 3D axis is perfect in front view, however the axis is off in the Active Camera view.

I assumed the 3D axis would be like that of the front view for all the layers, but in active view they are all different.

I haven't changed or done anything to this file as of yet, I've only imported it from Photoshop.

Return to posts index

by on Jan 12, 2014 at 2:15:20 pm

There could be an orientation or rotation value that is not set to their default values. Check on this. Also, try converting the text to editable text - do this by selecting the layer and choosing Layer>Convert to Editable Text - see if this helps.

I would also just try animating the X-rotation to see if it looks fine, regardless of the 3D axis arrows.

Alternatively, you can upload your AEP for myself or someone else to take a look.

Cheers
RoRK

Return to posts index

by on Jan 12, 2014 at 3:17:35 pm

Hey RoRk,

Thanks again for your help on this, I had a look at the orientation and rotation values and there all set to 0.
I couldn't convert the text to editable as I had rasterized the layers in photoshop prior to import however I created the text directly in After effects and had the same issue, where I think its the Z axis been off.

I also tried to animate it on the X axis but its still off again due to the Z axis I believe. I did this kind of thing last year on another mock up, however never had this issue. I have recently upgraded macs and this is the first time using after effects, which I did get a warning message upon opening regarding Graphics card however dismissed the message to not open again, but my mac is the most recent and wouldn't of thought this would effect this surely?

I've attached the AE project and PSD if you wouldn't mind checking this out?

6984_dellyicous.zip

Again I really appreciate your help on this.

Thanks

Anthony

Return to posts index

by on Jan 12, 2014 at 4:35:49 pm

I've downloaded the AEP and things look as they should. If you switch on the 3D switch for ALL your menu items, you will notice that their respective axis arrows are oriented relative to the camera.

Sorry but I don't see any issue. Perhaps you can better describe what you mean by "off again". What values are you adjusting? What is the outcome? What is your expected outcome?

Cheers
RoRK

Return to posts index

by on Jan 12, 2014 at 8:12:31 pm

Hi RoRk,

Thanks for taking a look. I'm beginning to think its something that I can't do simply.

What I want to do, is animate everything from the Front facing view, so the 3D axis is straight on for each layer as it appears in the 'Front - 3D View popup". I've read that After effects won't render the Front view and only the Active Camera.

When in Active Camera, if I reset the transform on the "Basic" layer, it moves it to the centre of the composition and the 3D axis is right, which I want but I want that axis where "Basic" was originally before resetting the transform.

Hope that makes sense

Thanks

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]