ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Noob question about extrusion

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul GroganNoob question about extrusion
by on Jan 6, 2014 at 9:17:37 am

Hi all, first time poster here so go easy on me :)

I'm new to learning after effects and I've been trying to create a 3d object based on a 2d image. Days of googling have led me only to making pictures look 3d which is not what I want, so I will explain here.

I have a 2d image of a circular game piece, just a top down view. I want to give that piece depth, which I think is called extrusion, but from what I have learnt, I can only extrude shapes and text (which I have done successfully).

So, I know I cant do the extrusion easily without a plugin, but what plugin will allow me to do this.

As a workaround, I found a way of doing it yesterday, but wanted to know if this was 'right'.

I create a circular shape, turned it 3d and extruded it.
Then created a new layer with the 2d image, moved it around so that it was in exactly the same x&y pos as the shape, but the z was a bit higher, so that it sat 'on' the shape.

Then set the parent of the image to the shape, and now when I move the shape around, it looks like the image is stuck on top of it - which worked.

Many Thanks for everyones help in advance.

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: Noob question about extrusion
by on Jan 6, 2014 at 11:19:58 pm

The closest effect/plugin that does what you are trying to accomplish, I believe would either shape shifter or free form pro from Mettle. Just a heads-up though, those products require more than a basic understand of AE, particularly you need to understand how displacement maps work. They have some very good tutorials on there website, check those out.

I'm not sure if the offer trial versions.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved