ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Cut Outs in After Effects

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gavin WilliamsCut Outs in After Effects
by on Jan 4, 2014 at 8:23:03 pm

Hi

I want to write some text on a solid background and in the middle of the O that is in the text I want to cut it out and have a film playing inside the O

So I need to cut out the inside of the O so that you can see the video footage within it?

The next stage would have the text growing larger and larger until the middle of the O eventually takes over the whole screen and so you are left with video footage playing normally?

Any help much appreciated!

Gav

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: Cut Outs in After Effects
by on Jan 4, 2014 at 11:40:51 pm

Gavin, this is an effect that can be accomplished in a lot of different ways; masks, effects, & mattes can all be used to create this effect. Here's one approach.

Create a new comp and create your text. Position your text where you would like it to start. Next, press "Y" to use the anchor point tool and move your anchor point to the center of the letter "O". Your text will scale from that center now. Press "cntl+y" to create a solid. Select the circle mask tool and make mask the solid so it is constrained by the letter "O". Place this solid below the text layer. Parent the solid to the text layer. Now place your video as the bottom layer in your layer stack and change it's track matte to "alpha matte". Finally, press "s" to access the scale property of the text layer and set up a couple of scale keyframes so it scales up over the entire video screen, revealing your video layer.

One advantage of using this method, is if you change your scale, timing or position of your text layer, because the solid is parented to it, everything adjusts with it.

Here's a sample project file: 6956_textwipeeffect5.5.aep.zip

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Gavin WilliamsRe: Cut Outs in After Effects
by on Jan 5, 2014 at 9:39:05 am

Thank you so much John - this is fantastic

Really appreciate your help

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: Cut Outs in After Effects
by on Jan 5, 2014 at 1:29:31 pm

Glad I could help.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]