ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

how to achieve zoomquilt effect

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Greg Sagehow to achieve zoomquilt effect
by on Dec 18, 2013 at 2:57:57 pm

Gearing up for a project that utilizes a similar principle to the "infinite zoom" as seen here:

Creating it in After effects, and trying to think through the logistics.

First, I'm assuming I want to achieve this in general by using the scale property. If there's a completely different approach, I'm all ears. Basic idea is that all the images have vanishing point in the center, and some sort of transparent cutout in the center from which the next image emerges.

I have hundreds of images being strung together, so the main question comes down to the scalability (no pun intended) of various techniques. For instance, If I start at 100% scale, then the next one is full size at 10%, I'm assuming I'll run out of decimals long before I get to the end if I do it all as one continuously scaling comp.

So... does that mean I need to do some sort of serial function where instead of one comp scaling I have a series of hundreds of them each scaling at the same speed, but staggered so as one reaches full size, another is just reaching 10%, and yet another is coming in behind it starting life at 1%

I'd love to hear any alternate takes on this as I don't like the idea of that approach since it uses so many keyframes. I'd prefer to keep the whole idea as fluid as possible to the end allowing for easy global changes in speed, allow me to do a bezier slowdown and reverse, etc.

Any ideas welcomed. Has anyone else on here tried something like this before? If not, I'm sure there are folks around with much more AE experience that might see some snags or tips I'm missing.

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: how to achieve zoomquilt effect
by on Dec 18, 2013 at 4:51:13 pm

Check out this tutorial as Video CoPilot: Earth Zoom. Set it up like he does, then if you are having too many decimal points, you can always throw in an extra null, and parent to that and start scaling again.

Another approach would be to just set up everything in Z space, and just move a camera through it.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Greg SageRe: how to achieve zoomquilt effect
by on Dec 18, 2013 at 5:01:03 pm

Z space was my first thought, but my guess is that it would screw up all the boundries since you'd get paralax shift between the inner edge of the larger image, and the outer edge of the smaller image.

Could be cool if you want that, and if there's enough overlap to cover it, but if you don't want it, or are trying to keep from noticing the boundries, it would draw attention to the boundries, and may cause some artifacts as the different pixel sizes slide over each other as the perspective shifts their relationship.

Again, it's a guess. Haven't tried it.

Will check out the link. thx

Return to posts index

Greg SageRe: how to achieve zoomquilt effect
by on Dec 19, 2013 at 4:07:59 pm

Loaded a half dozen images to test the tutorial, and it's working like a charm so far. I guess I'll see if there are rounding/scaling issues at the extremes once I get enough stacked, but overall, the system of parenting the scaling functions is what I was looking for.

Much better and more flexible than the few suggestions I had found floating around the net.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved