ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

AE 6 vs AE 5.5 Chroma and Render

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Don CobbleAE 6 vs AE 5.5 Chroma and Render
by on Dec 16, 2013 at 4:07:36 am

Is there a substantial difference in AE CS6 and AE CS5.5.2 in either Chroma or render time?

PC 1
I7 2.8 Ghz 8GB Ram
Win 7 Pro 64bit OS
PNY Quadro 4000
PC 2
I7 3930K 3.2Ghz
32 GB Ram
Win 7 Pro 64bit OS
PNY Quadro 4000

3-4 TB HD
Vegas 10 64bit & Vegas 11 64Bit & Vegas 12 & Adobe Production Premium CS5.5.2 & Avid Media Composer 5.5

Camera
Sony EX1 shoot in 1920x1080 30P

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: AE 6 vs AE 5.5 Chroma and Render
by on Dec 18, 2013 at 7:24:32 pm

There shouldn't be ANY difference in the way the video looks. Render time? CS6 does things a little differently than CS 5.5, so you might notice differences.

For complicated renders, I always like hitting the render button at the end of the day. Computers don't need to sleep. I do.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Jeff WhiteRe: AE 6 vs AE 5.5 Chroma and Render
by on Dec 19, 2013 at 7:14:12 am

hey Dave, nice to meet you. Is there any other way to text you other than creative cow? it's kinda annoying what i need to go thru just to send you a message. if not, its ok. But i need you help and guidance, sir :)
i have a specific problem in adobe after effects. i use Keylight 1.2 to do simple keying stuff with my stop motion animation. the issue im having is that some of my subject gets cut out with the green screen and i dont know how to subtract those areas of the shot from the keying effect. masks dont seem to work bcoz my animation is in motion and the mask stays where it is, but i dont know how to use inside masks anyways (if thats what i need to do)...could you lend me some advice please? thanks! ^_^

Return to posts index

Todd PerchertRe: AE 6 vs AE 5.5 Chroma and Render
by on Dec 19, 2013 at 3:53:36 pm

Does the subject you are trying to key have green as well? Try posting a frame of your original image to a message so we can see and give better advice.
TC

Return to posts index

by on Dec 19, 2013 at 4:55:49 pm

Yeah, post a screen shot of a problem frame.

I doubt you're the ONLY person who suffers through your particular set of conditions, so posting in a public forum like this helps a lot more people than you alone.

There are a TON of things that can influence the success of a chroma key.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

by on Dec 20, 2013 at 4:35:10 am

See the tip of his sword? i already did a keylight change to take out the greenscreen but how do i correct stuff like this?

Jeff White

Return to posts index

by on Dec 20, 2013 at 3:22:20 pm

I was hoping for original image. I'm guessing you have some green reflecting off of the sword... How much tweeking have you done in Keylight? I had a greenscreen the other day where someone had green spots in a hat that were very close in green to the wall. I was able to get a key, although some colors in the hat shifted so there was no green - which was fine. But adjust your Screen Gain and Balance to get a good balance, then adjust the Clip Black and Clip White. When done you may need to soften a little and shrink the Screen. All those adjustments are in Screen Matte in Keylight.
TC

Return to posts index

by on Dec 20, 2013 at 9:27:23 pm

Oh! sorry! :p Im still learning about Keylight in after effects and im already in love with the feature! :D

Ohhhhhh, i see what you mean now that you brought it to my attention. :) Dave gave me some advice also but im still not quite sure what to do. He said to copy the layer and make the reflected green a grey, but if i can just mimic the chrome-like effect to match the actual plastic, that would be great. im lost :( HELP! :p

also, before i go... i opened up my adobe PS and got this message (below). what should i do???

thanks again for all your advice and expertise. much appreciation for you and Dave <3

Jeff White

Return to posts index

by on Dec 23, 2013 at 3:10:31 pm

The green reflects so much into the sword, the best thing will be to duplicate the layer like Dave said, and change the color. Then you'll need to mask it or create a matte layer. You will need to move it for every frame - since it's stop motion, it shouldn't be too bad, just time consuming. Or you can always re-shoot and avoid reflections. No easy fix on that one that I can tell.
Good Luck!
TC

Return to posts index

by on Dec 20, 2013 at 5:40:14 pm

Since it's a still image sequence, it's easy to duplicate the layer and mask around the sword. A plus: you can misadjust Keylight to turn the reflected green into gray. I'm pretty sure it's the Screen Matte control.

Sound like a lot of work? Hey, that can happen sometimes with chroma key.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

by on Dec 20, 2013 at 9:06:10 pm

Hey thanks, in this case it's definitely worth the time to make it right so thanks for the help!

Jeff White

Return to posts index

by on Dec 21, 2013 at 1:00:56 pm

Dave, there must be an easier way to send u a message. but i cant find it on this website. anywho, please visit my blog when u have time :) i have questions for u there.

Jeff White

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]