ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

What is the best way to stabilize a long panning shot?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dave AndradeWhat is the best way to stabilize a long panning shot?
by on Dec 7, 2013 at 4:24:56 pm

I know that Warp Stabilizer exists, but regardless of the settings, even lowering the smooth motion, the footage starts to look strange.

I know for long tracking shots you can create a null, then another null and link the 2 with the keyframe at the same point.

My question is, lets say there is a pan from the floor to the ceiling and it's handheld. warp stablizer is going to see different things in each "scene", so there is a high probability it will get confused. (I've seen this with my own footage in the past).

Is there a technique to stabilization the mirrors the long tracking shot technique? Is this something designated for Mocha? I have AE CC. I am also willing to be pointed in the direction of a video if one has been made on this as I wasn't able to locate any. Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

George GoodmanRe: What is the best way to stabilize a long panning shot?
by on Dec 12, 2013 at 1:14:59 am

It's probably just going to be painstaking, but you'll need to split it up in small chunks.

Use the stabalize motion - not warp stabalizer - so that you can manually pick track points. As soon as it gets wonky, split the clip "cmd-shft-d" or "ctrl-shft-d" on pc. Run a new instance of it so that you can find new objects to track. The tricky part may be whether the clip lines up at the split or not. You may have to parent each one to a null object and manually move it to a place where you don't notice the clip splitting off.

Good luck!

"|_ (°_0) _|"

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved