ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Pulsing Light?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Oli DuncansonPulsing Light?
by on Dec 6, 2013 at 5:33:28 pm

I was wondering how I would be able to create a pulsing light effect in time with music?
like in this video at 2:20 :

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: Pulsing Light?
by on Dec 6, 2013 at 7:10:53 pm

Creat a white solid, with a lot of feather and use a trasfer mode like "Add"....Then just keyframe the opacity(if you go to 100% it will be completely white).

You can link the pulsing to the music if by selecting the audio layer and go to Animation > Keyframe Assistant > Convert Audio to Keyframes. This will creaet a null, with keyframes based on the audio volume. Now on the white solid open "Opacity" and "alt click" the stop watch and pick whip to keyframes. That will give a 1 to 1 ratio for the opacity and volume, which won't do much. One solution would be to click the "Both Channels" slider, open the graph tool, see what your highest level is..and do some rough math to figure out what you would need to multiply it up to say 90. Then just add a multiplier to your pick whip expression like this: thisComp.layer("Audio Amplitude").effect("Both Channels")("Slider")*1.5;

Or you could use the ease expression to select the mix/max values of the audio and covert them into a ratio for our opacity. In the following expression, I converted the audio to keyframes and applied this expression to opacity of my solid. What it does is when the audio hits 30 to 40 and above, it ramps up the opacity from 0 to 90. So anything below 30 will be turned off, and everything 40 and above will be 90%. You should be able to just take this expression, add it to the opacity of your "light layer" and just need to adjust the mix and max levels.

myAudio = thisComp.layer("Audio Amplitude").effect("Both Channels")("Slider");
myAudioMax = 40;
myAudioMin = 30;
opacityMin = 0;
opacityMax = 90;
ease(myAudio, myAudioMin, myAudioMax, opacityMin, opacityMax)

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Oli DuncansonRe: Pulsing Light?
by on Dec 9, 2013 at 9:46:08 pm

Thank you so much!

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: Pulsing Light?
by on Dec 6, 2013 at 7:18:15 pm

I made a simple project illustrating the two techniques. Hope this helps get you started.

6874_lightlayereffectfolder.zip

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]