Replace white lettering on a shirt?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kevin OBrien
Replace white lettering on a shirt?
on Dec 5, 2013 at 9:37:26 pm

Hello All..

I've been wrestling with the best way to remove white lettering from a grey
T-shirt while the actor in the film is moving in the scene.

I'm not having much luck with making it look natural/unnoticable...
I've searched for tutorials that address this but can't find what I need.

Is there a way to replace the white with the color of the shirt... "Change Color To" effect won't work with White)

An suggestions?

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
Re: Replace white lettering on a shirt?
on Dec 6, 2013 at 2:24:35 am

One method you might try is using the effect Keying > Extract. If if you have a pretty good white it should be pretty easy to pull it out. Then you will probably need to do some tracking and cloning to put something else in there.

If that doesn't work, post a picture so we know what we are working with.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Kevin OBrien
on Dec 6, 2013 at 6:19:22 pm

Thanks for your reply... Here is a still from the video. I need to remove the white lettering. He climbs upward in the 5 sec clip... his body does some twisting... I've been trying to animate a mask filled from a photoshopped still (Clean Plate) but not having much luck.

I tried the Keying> Extract mentioned but can't get it to work well...

Thanks for any input...

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
on Dec 7, 2013 at 2:43:02 pm

I tried using the extract method, and it works okay for the 1 frame ---- I'm not sure if it will hold up for an entire clip. 6879_logoextract.aep.zip

If it has to be totally realistic and a perfect match, I think you may need to go down the road of cloning/painting out the logo frame by frame.

It is an acceptable convention to track matte a logo and blur it out, if you are truly desperate---just throwing that out there.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."

Return to posts index

Kevin OBrien
on Dec 7, 2013 at 5:09:09 pm

Hi John... thanks for your time looking into this for me. I tried to open the AE file and get a message a file is missing (I'm assuming the jpg) I tried importing the image into the project off my harddrive but can't figure out how to get it to show in your project. Suggestion?

Thanks again, as always, for all your help...
Kevin

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
on Dec 7, 2013 at 5:54:40 pm

In the folder Production Elements > flat image folder, double click the missing image and point to your image, or just right click it and use the replace command.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

Return to posts index

Kevin OBrien
on Dec 7, 2013 at 6:00:43 pm

Thanks John... got it.

I'll examine with what you did and see if I can make it work.

I really appreciate your time!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]