ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Frequency separation/splitting

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kevin FinneganFrequency separation/splitting
by on Dec 4, 2013 at 5:25:17 pm

Anybody know how to do this in After Effects?

I get the basic idea but I can't get the result as AE doesn't have the "apply image" effect. It seems like they are doing the same thing as happens internally with the unsharp mask. I want to extract a detail layer and lay it on top of the blurred layer (linear light blend mode?) with the output looking identical to the original unblurred version. Then I can make edits to the blurred layer (taking out unwanted shadows) without the details being lost. I've fiddled around with compound arithmetic but I'm not sure what's really going on here. Any help would be great.

Return to posts index

Kevin FinneganRe: Frequency separation/splitting
by on Dec 5, 2013 at 1:42:33 pm

I figured it out mostly. I think this technique has promise in certain applications. I forgot to pre-comp my blurred layer so the detail layer was subtracting a perfect copy instead of the blurred version. I used two layers:

High frequency layer: compound arithmetic - blurred layer as 2nd source - subtract mode - wrap overflow
CC Color offset with all values at 180 - overflow wrap
Levels effect to control white and black levels (leaving grey right in the middle)
set to linear light blend mode
low frequency layer(precomped): gaussian blur

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: Frequency separation/splitting
by on Dec 5, 2013 at 4:10:02 pm

Glad you figured it out, I can stop working my way through that tutorial now. :)

Johnny Cuevas, Editor

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

ido shorRe: Frequency separation/splitting
by on Dec 21, 2015 at 1:13:31 pm

I tried imitating your pipeline, but I can't seems to achieve the results I desire. actually it seems that the High-Pass is just making everything worse.... wrinkles are getting deeper and the over all Sharpness is getting to be very high.

1. why did you add the levels?

2. are you pre coming the two frequencies and then put it on top of the original layer? if so, what blending mode are you using?

Return to posts index

Kevin FinneganRe: Frequency separation/splitting
by on Dec 28, 2015 at 6:52:49 pm

The levels will allow you to change the intensity of the effect by raising or lowering the output white black while leaving the center at 50% grey. You still have to edit the high frequency layer to get rid of wrinkles etc. I used it to remove shadows from a shirt. You still have to track the features you want to change so it can be a lot of roto work. If you just apply the effects as listed above, you should get almost no change in the original image, just the layers are separated so you can apply effects separately. Use this in conjunction with a tutorial on frequency separation aimed at photoshop users to see how touchup is done once the frequencies have been separated.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved