ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Question about a text effect

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Wessel van WegenQuestion about a text effect
by on Nov 29, 2013 at 8:25:52 pm

Hello everyone!

This is my first post so please forgive me if i'm doing something wrong!

Earlier today I saw a cool text effect in a music video and I was wondering how they made it. To me it looks like a simple effect but i couldn't figure out which one. It kind of looks like the letters are stuck together.

This is the video i'm talking about, with the text effect in the first seconds of the video which says: Een teemong viddy.

I hope someone can help me out!

Thanks a lot!

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: Question about a text effect
by on Nov 29, 2013 at 9:37:21 pm

Can't say this this is exactly how this was created but it looks to me like a combination of a compound blur and compound transition to create that effect. Both those effects are created by using other layers drive the blur and transition.

I created a simple composition to make a similar effect using a precomp with fractal noise, add a circular feathered mask with the expansion parameter keyframed. I dropped this into a master caster with the text layer, added compound blur and compound transition and pointed them to the fractal noise precomp. Finally I messed with the parameters a bit to get the look closer. Take a look at my project, it should give you a pretty good starting point in recreating this effect to your satisfaction.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Wessel van WegenRe: Question about a text effect
by on Nov 29, 2013 at 9:54:39 pm

Thank you so much for your response and the project you made!
I took a look at the project you made and it looks really great! Almost the same as the original if you ask me..
It only misses the kind of liquid effect where the letters are melted together or something.
I will definitely continue with your project file. You helped me out a lot! Pretty cool you did it in such a short time!
I really appreciate it man!

Wessel van Wegen

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved