ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Moving and object along a path

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tristan Rossiter-SheehyMoving and object along a path
by on Nov 27, 2013 at 7:43:57 am

oh my god this is doing my head in

When I create or place an object on my AF comp and then draw a mask. I try to paste that path into the position properties the path will be 'offset' and the object will not go to the start of the moves the mask then starts moving the object. this happens in AF CC, CS6 and CS5. I follow the tutorials to the letter and it off sets the object every time. What am I doing wrong?? I know its something really simple but i cant figure it out

Please help!

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: Moving and object along a path
by on Nov 27, 2013 at 1:14:55 pm

Try creating a new comp-sized solid, draw your mask path on that layer and copy and paste it to your solid or shape. It should jump to the start of the mask.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Moving and object along a path
by on Nov 27, 2013 at 6:08:14 pm

In my answer to your duplicate post (here:, I gave the context for why John's suggestion works:

"A mask path's coordinates are relative to the layer that they're on. A layer's position coordinates are relative to the composition that the layer is in."

By working with a composition-sized layer as John suggests, you are working with a layer coordinate space that has the same origin as the composition coordinate space.

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved