ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Animated title text - seeking advice

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Davide Marchesi
Animated title text - seeking advice
on Nov 10, 2013 at 6:43:10 pm

Hello,

I'd like to do a simple animation on one of the titles for a video I'm working on. Here's my attempt:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/i9237ah0p1cil2x/FTtitle.mp4

I like the idea of the text projecting in both directions (up and down), but I don't think it's working very well. Although I used some easy ease the animation doesn't seem fluid and I'm not convinced about the way the text appears on the screen in the first place. Does anyone have some suggestion on how to improve this? Thank you.

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
Re: Animated title text - seeking advice
on Nov 11, 2013 at 2:21:57 pm

I think if I were going to go that route. Instead of 2 perfectly mirrored text's, I'd blur one, perhaps fade it off a bit as it got away from the connect point to make it look more like a soft reflection, rather than the approach you took.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Nov 11, 2013 at 9:41:03 pm

I would drop the bottom one's opacity to 60% or so or just make it gray. That will separate the two from each other.

Stephen Smith

Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

chris brett
on Nov 11, 2013 at 10:47:27 pm

I agree with Johnny and Stephen as this will improve legibility but also suggest you spend a bit of time with your creative hat on and mindlessly check out all sorts of stuff / animating directional blurs / camera moves / warps / scale changes / secondary particle anims to support main reveal / lens flare or some light effect to sign off on / etc etc ...
te
.... I guess I'm thinking ( for me ) theres not quite enough going on yet to make a real impact ......

.....also ( apart from better speed curves as mentioned ) think the current reveal is perhaps too slow --- however theres always the ALIEN title to checkout if you want something slowwwwwer .... recommended....

Video Copilot demos are brilliant inspiration on this kind of stuff - highly recommended....

Best of luck -----chris --

================================

etc etc particle

Return to posts index

Davide Marchesi
on Nov 12, 2013 at 8:28:22 am

Thank you all for your suggestions. I'm going to try out a few of the things you entioned and see how I can improve it.

I kind of like its simplicity though, so I don't want to add many things to it. I'm mostly after an improvement of the reveal and animation. I was kind of happy with the look, but I'm going to try the opacity thing, seems like a good idea.

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
on Nov 12, 2013 at 9:21:53 pm

i think i'd push the cryptic aspect further.

i like the horizontal line that forms from the intersection of the type. what if you cropped the logo down to just that line and had those horizontal lines start to form first, so it starts to look like a series of dashes and dots.

then once that line is formed, the wipe reveals the rest of the logo and at that point the top half drops opacity to make the title more readable.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Davide Marchesi
on Nov 13, 2013 at 7:53:30 am

Thanks Kevin, that's quite a good idea. How would you do that two?
My AE skills are limited and, although I understand how to crop the text leaving only that line visible, using a mask, how would you reveal the lines and dots in the first place?
I guess it might look okay if I animate their length, but how do I make them independent from the rest of the text?

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
on Nov 14, 2013 at 10:08:26 pm

Hi Davide, sorry in the delay for replying to your post, deadlines get in the way of fun...

But to the point, if your logo is editable text (typed in ae, or converted from a photoshop text layer), it can be very easy to manipulate individual characters to aid in a reveal.

After Effects has many text animation presets that can be a good basis for text reveals.

here's an example that I started with the text animation preset called typewriter. I add that from the effects & presets palette (presets>text>animate in>typewriter).

http://reels.creativecow.net/film/20793

by default, typewriter types each letter on one at a time. if you twirl down the text layer properties to text.animator 1>range selector 1>advanced, you can modify those properties to get something a little more interesting.

in this case, i changed the smoothness to 100% so each letter will fade in, and set random order to on, so the characters reveal randomly rather than in order.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Davide Marchesi
on Nov 15, 2013 at 12:15:04 am

Thanks very much for the tips Kevin, I'll look into this stuff and hopefully learn some new tricks.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]