ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Timer Count Down

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Charles McHenryTimer Count Down
by on Nov 8, 2013 at 2:17:49 am

Does anyone know how to create a Timer Count Down? Sorta like what you would see in a dvd workout like p90X or insanity. Thanks. I'm really new to After effects so speak to me like I know nothing lol.

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: Timer Count Down
by on Nov 8, 2013 at 3:52:44 pm

I haven't seen those commercials, but is this something where you need something more involved than the Effect > Text > Numbers?

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Charles McHenryRe: Timer Count Down
by on Nov 8, 2013 at 7:30:35 pm

Honestly I'm not sure. I haven't tried that method yet. I will check. here is an example of what im talking about. Something this basic would work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCLq-qHiNLg#t=140

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: Timer Count Down
by on Nov 8, 2013 at 9:27:56 pm

I think using the numbers effect and just keyframe the numbers and uncheck proportional spacing and you should be good to go. One think about the number effect is when you turn off decimals, it rounds the result. For instance if you had a 60 second composition and you wanted to countdown from 60 to 0, you would need to start at 60.5 and go to 0.

Another more accurate way to do this would be to use a counting expression. I got this from Dan Ebberts int the expressions forum. First create a new comp the length you need to countdown and create a text layer by pressing "cntl+alt+shift+T". Twirl open the empty text, twirl open text and "alt+click" Source Text and paste the following(to adjust your countdown adjust the clockStart variable):

rate = -1;
clockStart = 60;

function padZero(n){
if (n < 10) return "0" + n else return "" + n
}

clockTime = Math.max(clockStart + rate*(time - inPoint),0);

t = Math.floor(clockTime);
min = Math.floor((t%3600)/60);
sec = Math.floor(t%60);
min + ":" + padZero(sec)

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]