ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Animating a paint stroke

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James QuinnAnimating a paint stroke
by on Nov 7, 2013 at 6:12:30 pm

Hi there,

I'm trying to create and animate paint waves like in this video:

I'm relatively new to After Effects so I checked around to find some tutorials but no luck. I'm not sure if I'm just not using the right key words so I apologise if this has been covered already. I've been trying to work it out with my limited knowledge.

My most promising looking workflow so far is to create the painted waves in Photoshop using a custom brush. I make a work path using the magic wand tool around the brush stroke. Then I import both the image and path into AE. The image becomes a layer and the path becomes a mask. From there I add the stroke to the mask and animate.

That is the plan, however, when I import the path from photoshop it becomes around 17 different masks. Presumably this is because of the complex shape created by the custom brush. Adding the stroke effect then causes all the different mask to be out of sequence (as they are not ordered from left to right).

So, I'm looking for a way to merge all these masks into one. Or negate the complexity of the path at the photoshop stage. Or is there a simpler work flow all together?

I hope you can help.

Many thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved