ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

is there no simple crop in After Effects?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
tad newberryis there no simple crop in After Effects?
by on Nov 1, 2013 at 7:22:07 pm

I simply want to cut off the left side of an image to change it's aspect ratio. This was easy in Motion and FCP (and Premiere as well), but seems oddly difficult in AE.

thanks for helping out a bonehead!

2.66 GHz Quad-Core Mac Pro
NVIDIA GeForce GT 120
...and a few TeraBytes o' storage
(then it's on to PetaBytes, ExaBytes and MosquitoBytes!)

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: is there no simple crop in After Effects?
by on Nov 1, 2013 at 10:27:36 pm

Select your layer and double click the rectangle mask tool. Now just drag around both left side vertices to select them and drag them to right to crop. You could also use the Effect > Transition > Linear Wipe to crop one side of a video.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Curt NeedsRe: is there no simple crop in After Effects?
by on Nov 14, 2014 at 9:17:07 pm

It's one of those days where everything I want to do in After Effects just doesn't have a simple solution. And here's another. In FCP 7 I can just use a slider to literally crop the left, right, top, and bottom of an image, video, graphic, whatever. But here in After Effects, those sliders don't exist under the Transform option within the layer. And that just seems like having them there would be a no-brainer. I know masking things is how a lot of stuff is done in After Effects, but cropping an image shouldn't be so hard in a program that should be able to do something like that faster than FCP 7.

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: is there no simple crop in After Effects?
by on Nov 17, 2014 at 6:45:22 pm

Effect>Transitions>Linear Wipe

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved