ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Animating text

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Davide MarchesiAnimating text
by on Oct 29, 2013 at 4:39:05 pm

Hello,

I want to do a simple text animation in AE6 resembling the title that comes up in this video at 00:07:

I've never done such a thing before, but after such research I think I understand that it's going to imply the use of masks, but I'm not quite sure how I should go about it. Could you please suggest some tutorials that could point me towards the right direction?

Thank you.

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: Animating text
by on Oct 29, 2013 at 6:12:27 pm

This is one of those effects that can be done with multiple approaches, but here's one. I'll assume you know how to create and animate the line. Create your text on two layers, one for above the line and one for below. Make the animated line the top layer of your composition.

Next create a solid(cntl + Y), place it above the top layer of text. Using the mask tool, cut the solid layer in half at the animated line. Now for the top layer of text change it's track matte to "Alpha Matte". Now just animate the position keyframes of the top layer of text.

Duplicate the solid, change the bottom text track matte to "Alpha Matte Inverted" and animate it's position keyframes.

Here's a sample project illustrating this technique: 6693_textanimation.aep.zip

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Davide MarchesiRe: Animating text
by on Oct 30, 2013 at 5:50:56 pm

Hi John,

Thank you very much for your thorough reply. I have downloaded your project file and now I'm gonna make some tests. One first question would be how did you get to make the ends of your line so round? I have set the option to "round caps" but they look more oval than round on my line. I can't figure it out.

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: Animating text
by on Oct 31, 2013 at 12:54:54 am

I didn't do anything. I made a line with just 2 points with the shape tool and gave it some thickness with stroke(11), then set the cap to "Round Cap". That's all.

If you are still having issues with it, save your project, use the last icon in the reply dialogue and upload it to the cow and i"ll take a look.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]