ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Looking for a particular Effect - Need your Advice

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tobias SchakatLooking for a particular Effect - Need your Advice
by on Oct 22, 2013 at 3:16:12 pm

Currently I am looking for an particular effect you can see from the Image link below:

This screenshot is from the Crimewatch UK Intro and I marked the effect I am talking about in red on the image.

Well to me it looks like some sort of timeline but I don't really know what to call it. Does anyone know how to create something similiar to this?

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: Looking for a particular Effect - Need your Advice
by on Oct 22, 2013 at 11:34:35 pm

i doubt there is an effect to create this, the grid effect is the closest i can think of but it would not be exactly like that timeline, and you'd still nee to add the numbers manually.

if i made this in ae, i'd probably create a long horizontal line using the rectangular shape tool (same as the mask tool, but if you use it while not on a layer, it creates a shape layer).

then i'd create the longer vertical line (it can be on the same shape layer). then, in the timeline right above that latest rectangle shape, there is an 'add' menu. click that and add a repeater. by default it will create a couple more vertical lines, 100 pixels offset from each other. if you twirl down the repeater properties you can increase the copies and twirl down the transform:repeater options and adjust the position of the copies until you get those lines positioned the way you'd like.

then you'd do the same for the shorter vertical lines.

to add the numbers, i'd just use the text tool and type them in.

if needed you could parent all the numbers to the timeline so it can be manipulated as a single piece, or you could take that comp into another comp as a single layer.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Looking for a particular Effect - Need your Advice
by on Oct 22, 2013 at 11:50:41 pm

It looks like an Illustrator file with a horizontally-feathered mask at each end, slightly blurred with an AE blur effect -- there are several -- plus with a precomped fractal noise layer above it and used as a luma matt3e to create variations in opacity. The illustrator layer also has a blend mode applied to it like Add or Screen.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

abner rodriguezRe: Looking for a particular Effect - Need your Advice
by on Oct 26, 2013 at 3:30:31 am

im having the same problem.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 All Rights Reserved