ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

"unsupported format?" BUT NOT!!!

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Caro Presa
"unsupported format?" BUT NOT!!!
on Oct 15, 2013 at 10:16:50 am

Hello everyone,

Im having some trouble with the AE "cannot be opened it may be in an unsupported format" error. I've been reading some posts about it, but they come around .avi videos or other format troubles.

It happens to me in an apparently random way, that when I'm importing, usualy .mov, the message appears. But if I change the master video name (original one) its suddenly ok, and proceed as nothing is wrong, (as it is not!!).

I'll describe a common situation (is not always when import) and try to give you more context:

I have 5 .mov videos. Same batch, same settings. When I create the project everything works fine, imports the 5 ok.

But then, a few days later, I open it again and suddenly it doesnt recognize 2 of those 5 videos. WHAT! THen I go relink them and the error message appears. So I go to the changing name process and its a mess. I work with a lot of material so the name thing is chaos for me.

Do you think I should uninstall and install it again?

Thank you very much!

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
Re: "unsupported format?" BUT NOT!!!
on Oct 16, 2013 at 3:34:50 am

Start here to troubleshoot issues with QuickTime files:
http://blogs.adobe.com/aftereffects/2013/08/solutions-for-problems-with-qui...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Caro Presa
on Oct 16, 2013 at 2:50:37 pm

Thank you very much for the info, I'm working with AE CS6 on PC, so I think those solutions doesn't work for me. Thanks again anyway, and if you have any other ideas please tell me.

Thanks again!

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Oct 17, 2013 at 9:00:43 pm

> I'm working with AE CS6 on PC, so I think those solutions doesn't work for me.

I'm confused about why you would say that.

The page that I linked to is a bout one possible solution, but it links to a page with many other troubleshooting steps---which are relevant for all operating systems.

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog

Return to posts index

Tony Mines
on Jul 4, 2016 at 10:04:49 pm

I am having the same problem, but importing .swf files into AE.

The same error. Similar random inconsistency. I have also read extensively about the (86 :: 1) error message and all threads follow the same pattern:

A supportable file format is reported as unsupported, randomly. It might be an .avi or anything else.
In every case the thread remains unanswered.
In every case a solution is posited to do with the particular file format. It doesn't seem to apply.
In every case there is a random exception to the error message. The exception is never consistent between cases.

The error message... may be in an unsupported format.. (86 :: 1) seems to be indicative of it's own problem, and not confined to the stated incompatible file (since the format differs from case to case, but each case is consistently inconsistent) and is something Adobe needs to investigate.

In my own case I cannot import newly created swf files from any source unless (mandatory random aspect) they are located directly on the desktop, in which case they can be read.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]