ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

After Effects Before Professional Color Correction?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Elizabeth PerlmanAfter Effects Before Professional Color Correction?
by on Oct 7, 2013 at 6:27:11 pm

I'm editing a feature-length documentary/pretty new to After Effects but I've figured out how to blur out the faces of multiple people who we weren't able to get releases from. I was wondering if I were to import the shots back into final cut would this create trouble down the line when we plan to use any professional color correction services? A co-worker brought up a point that the cc ppl would want the video to have the least amount of manipulation? Is there a way to export the AE files as layers similar to a photoshop file so we can turn them on/off if needed?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: After Effects Before Professional Color Correction?
by on Oct 7, 2013 at 9:26:00 pm

I don't think simply blurring the faces would have any bearing whatsoever on color correcting the video. If you're going to do this in AE, you need to decide whose faces get blurred and live with the decision: no nifty switch for video like you'd find in Photoshop.

I presume you used ProRes for your codec in FCP; please don't say it's still in H.264, because it's a very lossy codec. However, ProRes 422 holds up extremely well, as does ProRes HQ. ProRes 4444 is just plain overkill for almost anything you do with the exception of rendering out clips needing alpha channels.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: After Effects Before Professional Color Correction?
by on Oct 7, 2013 at 9:46:13 pm

This kind of work is not going to be a problem for the colorist(s). If you were adjusting colors in After Effects, that would be a different matter.

Just make sure that you're rendering and exporting from After Effects to a format and codec that lose as little information as possible. Compression artifacts are a nightmare for coloring work.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Elizabeth PerlmanRe: After Effects Before Professional Color Correction?
by on Oct 7, 2013 at 9:55:44 pm

Thanks for the response, Dave. We've used ProRes422 for all of our footage. Do you recommend doing this in After Effects or is there a different program I should try? I've heard some things about Mocha. Just trying to keep down costs so we don't have to send it to a post house.

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: After Effects Before Professional Color Correction?
by on Oct 7, 2013 at 10:22:46 pm

Blurring faces is easy in After Effects.

I show a few ways in these videos of selectively applying an effect to a tracked region:

https://www.video2brain.com/en/lessons/removing-a-logo-from-a-moving-image

http://tv.adobe.com/watch/learn-by-video/adobe-after-effects-cs5-motion-tra...

https://www.video2brain.com/en/lessons/isolating-a-subject-with-roto-brush

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog

Return to posts index

Elizabeth PerlmanRe: After Effects Before Professional Color Correction?
by on Oct 8, 2013 at 3:18:56 pm

Thanks, Todd! Your videos were really helpful.

Return to posts index

Ross ShainRe: After Effects Before Professional Color Correction?
by on Oct 8, 2013 at 3:11:56 pm

mocha AE comes bundled with Adobe After Effects CC. However, if you are cutting in Final Cut Pro X, than you may also want to check out SliceX powered by mocha from CoreMelt.com

This is a $99 plug-in that does the shape masking, tracking and blurring all within the FCPX timeline. For long form project cut on FCPX, this could be the most efficient way to blur faces.

Hope this helps,
Ross

Ross Shain
Imagineer Systems
http://www.imagineersystems.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]