ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

How do you remove transparency when using track mattes?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Luyi Yang
How do you remove transparency when using track mattes?
on Sep 23, 2013 at 7:28:49 am

Currently using a luma matte to create some form of a texture for my object with a paper texture. However whenever I apply them to my objects, they become transparent. Does anyone know how I can retain this texture, but remove the transparency?

Here's a screenshot of this issue I'm having:
http://i1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh485/looyee/transparencyproblem_zps294...

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
Re: How do you remove transparency when using track mattes?
on Sep 23, 2013 at 4:00:19 pm

Is it the part with the giant "monster" like creature on the right? It seems the eyes are showing up, are they a different layer? Can you post a picture of your luma matte, please---that will help diagnosing the problem.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Luyi Yang
on Sep 24, 2013 at 1:37:03 am

The eyes are on the same layer as the Zombie. The zombie itself is black and the eyes were white. I just made the track matte of the zombie to Luma Matte. Here's a screenshot of it at the moment.

http://i1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh485/looyee/LumaMattes_zpsbc4f91ae.jpg

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
on Sep 24, 2013 at 11:29:21 am

Luma mattes are based on the lightness/darkness of the layer above it. So if your zombie is black, it should be transparent, while the eyes being white, the paper texture is seen there. You can choose luma-inverted if you wish to flip the order.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."

Return to posts index

Luyi Yang
on Sep 24, 2013 at 11:50:01 am

Yep the zombie itself is all black and the eyes are white. I've tried all the track mattes and the Luma Matte was the closest one to what I wanted it to look like, the problem is only the transparency bit.

This is the zombie without any mattes applied. Only black and white:
http://i1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh485/looyee/Zombie5_zpsc1036629.jpg

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
on Sep 24, 2013 at 4:29:42 pm

If you want the eyes to be different but also tectured, then you need to composite this as 2 layers, 1 for the eyes and 1 for the body. Because black won't work as a luma matte. When you use black you are telling AE, to ignore this area, only use the white.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

Return to posts index

Ashish Gupta
on Oct 1, 2013 at 12:47:16 pm

Luyi Yang,

Can't really be sure without looking at your paper texture .. but my suggestion would be to use blending modes with the paper to merge it with zombie layer ....

Ashish Gupta
Motiongraphics artist and 3d generalist

aashi.29nov@gmail.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]