ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Multiple layers contributing alphas for a color layer

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eric ChardMultiple layers contributing alphas for a color layer
by on Sep 20, 2013 at 9:54:48 pm

I know this is possible, but disremembering how:

I want to combine multiple layers such that their combined alphas modulate/define a color layer, so that all one sees is a solid silhouette of one color. Oh, and one of the layers is a Text layer.

Similar, I think, to a clipping layer in PShop, but in this case the result simply comes from a solid. (Maybe I'll change it to a texture later.)

++++++++++++++++
"Putting the HARM in 'harmonica' since 2005."
++++++++++++++++

Return to posts index

Eric ChardRe: Multiple layers contributing alphas for a color layer
by on Sep 20, 2013 at 9:59:18 pm

Emphasis here on MULTIPLE layers. Must it be pre-comped?? :(

++++++++++++++++
"Putting the HARM in 'harmonica' since 2005."
++++++++++++++++

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: Multiple layers contributing alphas for a color layer
by on Sep 20, 2013 at 10:05:13 pm

there are two fairly easy ways if you don't have a solid background (ie, you can see the checkerboard pattern)...

you can have the keyed 'alpha' layers at the bottom of the comp, and then any layers above those layers that you want to take on that alpha shape, you just need to place above those layers and enable the cryptic 'T' option for those layers in the their layer modes (it's right between the layer modes and the track matte options).

or you can reverse the layer order, having the alpha layers above the layers to be knocked out, but set the alpha layers blending modes to stencil alpha (towards the bottom of the modes list).

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: Multiple layers contributing alphas for a color layer
by on Sep 20, 2013 at 10:09:02 pm

actually, let me take back that 'stencil alpha' option... since you have multiple alpha layers, that probably won't produce the result you are looking for. each alpha will subtract from each other, and i think you want them to 'add' together.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]