ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Bulleted text?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Janne Laiho
Bulleted text?
on Sep 18, 2013 at 1:50:01 pm

Hello,

I must be missing something obvious. How can you make bulleted text in AE, as in bullet points and text properly idented?

After Effects CC.

Cheers
Janne

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Bulleted text?
on Sep 18, 2013 at 7:55:46 pm

Find the bullet character in the typeface?

AE doesn't work like Microsoft Word, so there isn't any automatic setting for bullet points.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
on Sep 18, 2013 at 9:40:45 pm

you can get pretty close if you create your text as 'paragraph text' (using the text cursor, click and drag a rectangle to make the text box), type a bullet character and enough text to make the line wrap.

then fiddle with the paragraph settings to adjust the indenting to move new lines to the left, so that as the text wraps, the wrapping line lines up with the first word of the bulleted line.

after that everything you type in that, as long as you use a bullet at the front of each new line, it should work out pretty well.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Janne Laiho
on Sep 19, 2013 at 10:11:27 am

Thanks Kevin. That's pretty much what I've been doing. I know AE relatively well and realize it's not a word processing program, however this is a feature that has much use (I guess I'm not the only person in the world making videos with text boxes here and there - not that I like them, but my client wants them), and I was hoping this useful feature is there somewhere.

Time for a feature request, I guess.

Cheers
Janne

Return to posts index

Eric Chard
on Sep 20, 2013 at 9:48:25 pm

Would it make sense to jump back and forth between Illustrator and AE and have it hot-sync?

++++++++++++++++
"Putting the HARM in 'harmonica' since 2005."
++++++++++++++++

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Sep 20, 2013 at 10:45:11 pm

I kinda doubt it. I bet it would probably be easier to duplicate the text layer and change the text... being careful not to mess with the spacing between the bullet and the first text character, of course.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Eric Standridge
on Sep 27, 2013 at 4:30:31 am

There's a preset that you can download for bulleted text. I don't want to post the link here but if you Google "after effects text bullet points" then it'll come up on the first page. I've used that preset a lot in the past and always works out well.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]