ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Collapse Transformations mayhem: 3D layers going ascew

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dylan Mercer
Collapse Transformations mayhem: 3D layers going ascew
on Sep 18, 2013 at 9:48:46 am

Hi there. I feel like I'm taking crazy pills...

I am animating a demonstration of an internet banking interface, showing items being clicked, pages changing, drop-down menus sliding out, etc.

I have designed all the pages as separate comps, all using text, shapes, layers with stroke effects and basic a few images for logos and the cursor image.

the animated pages are precomped and a camera is used to zoom in and out to show various actions and get more dynamic angles, but here I am coming into a huge problem. I have Collapse Transformations (CT) turned on for all the comps(web pages) in the animation to ensure crisp text and shape edges, but my layers are bugging-out as soon as I turn CT on! With CT off, the animation works fine but everything is blurred with jagged edges.

example:
I have a drop-down menu which is a precomp, it is then precomped again in the webpage precomp it appears on. It slides down, and a mouse hovers over the options, but when my camera pulls back out, the page moves away and the drop-down menu remains up close and on a 3D angle, as if it is parented to the camera.
video here:

after effects collapse transformations issue

there are many other similar issues, where flat 3D planes are randomly jumping to odd positions as the camera moves

please help!

thanks,

Dylan Mercer

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
Re: Collapse Transformations mayhem: 3D layers going ascew
on Sep 18, 2013 at 11:22:03 am

It looks like you have some planes shapes that have 3D enabled in the precomps and some without. So first thing make sure all your layers are either 3D or not, because when you collapse 3D information is brought forward into the final comp.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Dylan Mercer
on Sep 18, 2013 at 11:33:35 am

Thanks for your reply, Johnny. I have double-checked the correct layers are 3D, but as you can see in the vid; layers which had previously been moving in 3D are stopping at random points in time and freezing in 3D space while the rest of the composition continues moving (or that's how it seems)

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
on Sep 18, 2013 at 12:10:58 pm

If you created the entire thing in AE, shapes, layers, text...what not. You could upload it here(just the .aep file) and I'll take a look at it. If you are concerned about your work, once it's uploaded, and I download the file, you can deactivate the link.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."

Return to posts index

Dylan Mercer
on Sep 18, 2013 at 9:47:59 pm

Thanks John. I've tweaked a few things since my first post but still getting some strange bugs, i.e. The blue text of the account names is invisible until 07:17 and pops of again when the camera moves from it.

heres the link to my currrent working file:
6532_sp6791nabconnectscreenshotssmallbiz.aep.zip

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
on Sep 19, 2013 at 12:20:24 am

Sorry, can you save back to CS6 please.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
on Sep 19, 2013 at 11:28:34 am

Before you upload another version, are you using layer styles on anything, those can mess up 3D in AE.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]