ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Project problem

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Marek KowalczukProject problem
by on Sep 9, 2013 at 9:40:44 pm

I've recently started to use Adobe After Effects and I would like to achieve something like that:

So it's kind of person presentation - i want my video to pause, then add specific background (only the person remains unchanged) and text and let it last for 2-4 seconds, then video unpauses, specific background and text dissappear.

Could someone help me out here? There are lot of tutorials here, i've looked around but i have no experience and terminology is also important when it comes to finding stuff.

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: Project problem
by on Sep 10, 2013 at 11:42:47 am

The main term you need to know is masking or rotoscoping(amounts to the same thing).

Using the example video, you would take the video and drop it on the make new comp button. Select the video layer and duplicate it(cntl + d). Select both layers and on the menu bar go to Layer > Time > Enable Time Remaping. This will add start and end time remap keyframes and open up Time Remapping. Move the Current Time Indicator(CTI) to where you want time to freeze and with both layers still selected add a keyframe by clicking the empty keyframe to the left of the stop watch. Press "shift + F9" to make it ease in, then press (Cntl + alt + H) to make it a hold keyframe. Making it a hold keyframe will freeze time for the rest of the sequence.

You could use the roto tool, it's quicker, but since you are just starting I'm suggesting you use the pen tool to mask out your subject. So with just the top layer seleted, use the pen tool and cut out the person. Start off screen but near him and then just add vertices as you need them. After you finish, you may want to twirl open the mask settings and add a little feather to your mask.

After that it's a case of adding some color effects, add some layers for for the arrows and text.

Getting started with After Effects (CS4, CS5, CS5.5, CS6, & CC)

In part 4 you will find links to free turials on masking, keyframing and adding effects.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved