ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Using the twirl effect in 3D space

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andrew SchearUsing the twirl effect in 3D space
by on Aug 30, 2013 at 3:58:38 am

I'm working on a video project for a friend of mine about hurricanes. I've found this cool image online and want to use the twirl effect to make it look like video footage for a few seconds.

I applied the twirl effect to this image, but since it's not really working the way I want it to because of the way the storm is angled in the picture. I've used the swirl effect on a few other pictures and it worked great - but they were top down radar images. I attempted to use an adjustment layer and rotate that, but that didn't work either.

Does anyone have any ideas? Surely this must be possible. Sorry if it's been asked before - this is the first time ever that I've not been able to find something by searching!

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: Using the twirl effect in 3D space
by on Aug 30, 2013 at 3:42:06 pm

I think you would be better off making a slightly animated black & white spiral shape, with it central point being the eye of the hurricane and using that as a displacement map. If I have time later, I'll try to make an example project.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved