ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Retaining a layers 3d positioning when nested in another composition

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
joey campbell
Retaining a layers 3d positioning when nested in another composition
on Aug 28, 2013 at 9:45:39 pm

Hi is it possible to retain the 3d positioning of layers when these layers are nested in a composition and that composition is brought into a main composition with a camera.

For example 'comp 1' has 5 3d layers with text/shapes and all 5 layers are spread out on the z axis.....this is fine...I can zoom through 3d space using a camera and get a sense of depth/space.

If I bring 'comp 1' into 'comp 2' and add a camera, after effects now only sees comp 1 as a flattened 2d layer inside of comp2. This happens regardless of whether I have the 3d layer activated on the comp1 layer.

Any help would be great.
Joey

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
Re: Retaining a layers 3d positioning when nested in another composition
on Aug 28, 2013 at 10:04:57 pm

Turn on the continuous rasterization/collapse transformations button, it looks like a little sun.

More help here: Render order and collapsing transformations

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

joey campbell
on Aug 29, 2013 at 9:10:59 am

Thanks Johnny - I had thought that button was only linked with vectors!

I ahve a related question to do with 3rd party plugins.
I have noticed it doesn't seem to work for nested comps. containing Trapcode Form but does work for nested comps containing RedGiant Plane Space. Is this a known glitch/issue or is there a work around ?
Joey

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
on Aug 29, 2013 at 11:42:32 am

Don't have any answer other than they are two different plugins and perhaps handle z-space differently.

I don't have Plane Space, but none of the trapcode plugins can be used with collapse transformations(since they really aren't 3D, but projected 3D). In the past when I have absolutely had to precomp a trapcode, I add a camera and use expressions to link it to a camera in the main comp.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

joey campbell
on Aug 29, 2013 at 7:26:37 pm

Thanks for the info John

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]