ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

How to recreate this effect (or at least, wondering if this technique has a name?)

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jessica raifordHow to recreate this effect (or at least, wondering if this technique has a name?)
by on Aug 27, 2013 at 8:50:01 pm

If you watch this commercial: http://www.ispot.tv/ad/7n30/aczone-mirror-faces

The last shot has circles in the background that "pulse".

Now, I could manually just make a bunch of circles and keyframe each one, but is that what they did? Is this happening with a script and are these made using the circle tool or something else? They almost look like they could be orbs from a lens flare, but their placement doesn't seem entirely random.

Anyway, is there an easy way you would go about making these and is there a name for this technique? I see this in a LOT of commercials and am trying to recreate it.

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: How to recreate this effect (or at least, wondering if this technique has a name?)
by on Aug 28, 2013 at 11:35:54 am

I would create a circle with 2 keyframes for scale, the max and min sizes. Then alt+click the scale parameter and add the following expression: loopOut("pingpong")

That expressions tells AE to go from the first keyframe to the last and when it gets that go back to first, forever.

Then if you want to adjust the speed of the circles all you need to do is drag one of the keyframes and the expression will automatically update. Another thing, you can set up all your circles with keyframes, apply the expression to one circle, select the scale parementer and then use the Edit > Copy Expression Only to put the expression in the clipboard. Then you can just select all the other layers and paste the expression.

I made a quick example project for you to illustrate the technique: 6454_pingpongcs5.5.aep.zip

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

jessica raifordRe: How to recreate this effect (or at least, wondering if this technique has a name?)
by on Aug 28, 2013 at 8:44:16 pm

Awesome. Thank you very much for this!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]