ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Title safe area

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Peter FilarskiTitle safe area
by on Aug 27, 2013 at 11:25:32 am

Hi everyone !

I've got a little problem with action/title safe area.

The question is should I adjust the text to these lines while creating my video? The movie will be sold on DVD. It is pretty hard to make such a title (print screen below) and fit it in title safe area. What about all the movies with text on the bottom of the screen that we can watch in TV/cinema?

... and if so, to which of the lines should I adjust the position of this text?

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: Title safe area
by on Aug 27, 2013 at 3:11:07 pm

Assuming 16x9, your titles are in the Action Safe area. Title Safe would be the next box in. If you want to make your titles fit, then you need to make them smaller.

With HD, you definitively have less to worry about stuff getting cut off, but I still keep all my titles within safe areas, it just isn't worth the headache of creating something and having a furious client call at 3 in the morning screaming that some word was cut off.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Stephen SmithRe: Title safe area
by on Aug 27, 2013 at 6:40:34 pm

Take a look at this article:
Go to the bottom where it says: About title-safe and action-safe zones

Not all flat screen TVs are created equal and you "y" is in danger. I would just make the title smaller and play it safe.

Stephen Smith

Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

Paul CarlinRe: Title safe area
by on Jan 16, 2014 at 10:37:16 pm

You specified that you are delivering a DVD, so this may not apply to you, but I wanted to expand for those who search and find this question later.

If you are delivering for a client, ask for the delivery specs. The delivery specs will specify where title can and can't go. Especially for network television, where they even dictate WHEN the titles can appear. For example, they may specify that you can't use the upper left corner at the beginning so that they can put that obnoxiously large G rating thingie. They also will be putting promos for other shows and such just prior to commercial breaks so you can't use the bottom right corner, etc.

Different networks may have different guidelines. 10% (Action Safe) and 20% (Title Safe) are common, but may be anywhere in-between. They may even specify 4:3 or 14:9 safe titles within a 16:9 image. It's all in the specs.

Most HD and 4K televisions now cover the action safe area with ease, but my personal preference would be half way in-between Action and Title to be "safe".

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved