ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

turning a 2D picture into a 3D object in AE CS6 ?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tomas Kiedisturning a 2D picture into a 3D object in AE CS6 ?
by on Aug 24, 2013 at 7:51:18 pm

Is it possible to make a picture into a 3D object? I know that it's possible to create 3D Earth or Moon by taking a world/moon map and applying Effect -> Perspective -> CC Sphere. But when it comes to non-spherical objects, I fail to make convert them into 3D. For example, I have a picture of a mouth mirror used by dentists and i'm struggling to make it look like a 3D object in AE CS6 - is there any way to do a trick?

Thank you

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: turning a 2D picture into a 3D object in AE CS6 ?
by on Aug 25, 2013 at 3:14:44 pm

There are a couple of methods for creating the 2.5D look. One is the use of 3D cameras and multiple layersthis method was made famous by the movie "The Kid Stays in the Picture", so if you look up that movie and effects/tutorials you'll get a lot of results. Here are few tutorials that use that method---:

46. Virtual 3D Photos
127. The Jungle

Another method is to use displacement mapping and freeform to create 3D and this can look incredible. Tudor Jelescu has created some amazing work using this technique: He has a tutorial where he demostrates it here: 3D from 2D Image Using Displacement Maps

And in this thread there a few examples of his work: Need info on how to make the eff. As in kony 2012 movie.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved