ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

How to Make DOS Animated Text - with a blinking Sqaure instead of an Underscore or Line Cursor

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Colin Peterson
How to Make DOS Animated Text - with a blinking Sqaure instead of an Underscore or Line Cursor
on Aug 21, 2013 at 2:02:24 am

Hey folks, I'm trying to figure this out, and I can do it via a ton of key frames, but I figured that there must an easier way to make this happen.

I'm trying to get the animated typing effect, but instead of having a blinking line cursor, have a blinking square leading the text--like an old DOS computer. Is there an expression or a text animation preset that I could use? I have found some tutorials online like this one,

And I would love to use something like offset with this project, but there isn't a 'square' character in the font I'm using--for the cursor. Animating the text with offset works perfectly, its just the matter of the square.

I've got the blinking down via an opacity loop expression. But its just the matter of that square cursor being 'pushed' by the text down the line...without having to make a new layer/a ton of keyframes for each character of text.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
Re: How to Make DOS Animated Text - with a blinking Sqaure instead of an Underscore or Line Cursor
on Aug 21, 2013 at 11:39:51 am

I'm going to copy & paste the answer Roland Kahlenberg gave in another thread in case someone searches this forum for the answer:

Use AE's Word Processor Text Animation Preset to create the basic cursor effect. Then add the following Text Animator properties
* Anchor Point (to shift the cursor in x/y co-ordinates)
* Scale
* Fill Color

to the Animator Group that has been selected as per the image. If it's not obvious, please note that the box that you see is the cursor. You will have limitless ways to control the look using this method.

Here's a project I made using the above effect. One trick, after the word "cursor" I placed another character, that way the cursor remains on screen and blinking.

6434_blinkingcursor.aep.zip

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Colin Peterson
Re: How to Make DOS Animated Text - with a blinking Sqaure instead of an Underscore or Line Cursor
on Aug 21, 2013 at 3:15:28 pm

Thanks for the response and the link to the two project files! Is there any way that you could save the latter project file that would be compatible with 5.5? I unfortunately don't have 6... Thanks either way!

Return to posts index

Colin Peterson
on Aug 21, 2013 at 3:53:15 pm

Also, I'm working with the 1st project link, its great. However, I don't know expressions enough to get the text to write on from left to right as opposed to right to left...

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
on Aug 21, 2013 at 4:07:58 pm

I'm a little confused, I only linked one project file. And it type comes left to right. Here's a CS5.5 version of it: 6435_blinkingcursorcs5.5.aep.zip

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Colin Peterson
on Aug 21, 2013 at 4:16:39 pm

Got it. Thank you for the help. I wasn't explaining myself correctly. But I'm great now, thanks for the excellent help.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]