ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

How to copy, paste or import AE Masks to/from Photoshop maintaining SAME SIZE in both?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeff CottleHow to copy, paste or import AE Masks to/from Photoshop maintaining SAME SIZE in both?
by on Aug 13, 2013 at 3:02:46 pm

Hello,
after creating an AE comp from a 1080p .png image sequence,
then opening the same 1st frame in PS(Photoshop),
i then drew a bezier mask around a circular part in the 1st frame of the AE comp,
copied then pasted it into the same 1st frame in PS,
RESULTS = the PS mask pasted misaligned with its corresponding part (texture) in AE and at different scale than the AE Mask.
i've been careful to only edit Masks and not their solid layers or the comp size and scale. So neither layers or comps have been scaled or shifted. I also insure the layers and comps remain the same size and position as when created. Please tell me..

1)..How to copy, paste or import AE Masks to/from Photoshop maintaining alignment and SAME MASK SIZE in both?

Thanks for any help,
Jeff

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: How to copy, paste or import AE Masks to/from Photoshop maintaining SAME SIZE in both?
by on Aug 13, 2013 at 4:25:20 pm

You have to make sure that the photoshop document and the AE comp match PRECISELY in terms of horizontal dimension, vertical dimension and pixel aspect ratio. Then it will work.

But what if you can't do that? Make the mask in AE. It's not tough to do.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Jeff CottleRe: How to copy, paste or import AE Masks to/from Photoshop maintaining SAME SIZE in both?
by on Aug 13, 2013 at 7:12:50 pm

Hi,
thanks for your reply Dave, but as i'd written:"..i've been careful to only edit Masks and not their solid layers or the comp size and scale. So neither layers or comps have been scaled or shifted. I also insure the layers and comps remain the same size and position as when created..", despite this AE masks pasted in PS are still different scale and position.

2) Also, or if anyone knows of any way to distort or warp Bezier masks within AE please let me know?

Any other suggestions or answers much appreciated,
Jeff

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: How to copy, paste or import AE Masks to/from Photoshop maintaining SAME SIZE in both?
by on Aug 13, 2013 at 8:15:28 pm

The one tem missing from this discussion so far: pixel aspect ratio. Do they ALSO match from photoshop to AE?

A common oopsie: thinking that all 1080 footage is 1020x1080; it might be 1440x1080, meaning it has a pixel aspect ratio of something like 1.33. The same thing applies to 720 footage: it is often 96x720.

Dave LaRonde

Return to posts index

Jeff CottleRe: How to copy, paste or import AE Masks to/from Photoshop maintaining SAME SIZE in both?
by on Aug 13, 2013 at 8:32:56 pm

Thanks again Dave,
the AE comp setting Pixel Aspect Ratio: Square Pixels,
Frame Aspect Ratio = 16:9 (1.78).

3) How do i determine or assign the Photoshop Pixel Aspect Ration please?,

2) Also, or if you or anyone knows of any way to distort or warp Bezier masks within AE please let me know?

Return to posts index

by on Aug 13, 2013 at 9:20:15 pm

I'm glad you were able to find out the comp's aspect ratio. Unfortunately, that's not the same as the footages pixel aspect ratio. Not all footage has perfectly square pixels.

When you click on the the footage in the project pane, what what are its dimensions in the Information section at the very top?

Dave LaRonde

Return to posts index

by on Aug 13, 2013 at 9:47:26 pm

footage in the project pane dimensions are exactly:
"1920 x 1080 (1.00):"

Return to posts index

by on Aug 13, 2013 at 11:07:50 pm

Well, if the photoshop document is also 1920x1080 with a pixel aspect ratio of 1, then I am officially stumped. There should be no reason why it shouldn't work.

Dave LaRonde

Return to posts index

by on Aug 13, 2013 at 11:21:08 pm

Thanks for helping, and confirming problem exists.

1) if possible could you confirm wether AECS6 masks paste properly in to PSCS6 on Your machine?

also, you wrote..
"..Well, if the photoshop document is also 1920x1080 with a pixel aspect ratio of 1, then I am officially stumped.."

2) how do i confirm Photoshop document pixel aspect ratio please?

appreciate it,
Jeff

Return to posts index

by on Aug 13, 2013 at 11:29:13 pm

1=square pixels. .9=a somewhat skinny pixel. 1.33=rather wide pixels, They're all common pixel aspect ratios.

Dave LaRonde

Return to posts index

by on Aug 14, 2013 at 12:19:48 am

- i'll assume you can't or won't test pasting masks,
- i'll assume you don't know how to read photoshop doc. aspect ratio,
- thanks for almost confirming AECS6 bug,
cheers

Return to posts index

by on Aug 14, 2013 at 2:59:08 pm

Sorry, but I answered at work where I:
1) Had to answer your many queries while I actually did my job, and couldn't devote more than a couple of minutes to each response
2) Don't have immediate access to AE, so I was working from memory
3) Don't even have CS6 -- we still run 5.5

If you wanted a Help Desk, you picked the wrong place. This is a user-to-user forum, and the answers often depend on who's present at the moment.

Dave LaRonde

Return to posts index

by on Aug 14, 2013 at 4:38:37 pm

I would have had to correctly assume all that as well had you not replied since any numbered question was ignored or answered incoherent with the question. I still appreciate your attempts to answer my many (3) questions considering your time constraints, but as usual i'd also written to additional user forums and received direct answers from experienced or familiar users at http://forums.adobe.com as i'd hoped.
cheers Dave,
Jeff

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]