ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Name for Text Panel Overlays?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott Roberts
Name for Text Panel Overlays?
on Aug 8, 2013 at 6:08:43 am

I've looked all over for literally days in search of some templates or projects that can serve as a platform for creating text box overlays to no avail. Is there another name for what this would be called if while there is a lecturer or presenter on the screen a text box will enter on the side that has notes pertaining to the presentation? There are hundreds of lower thirds projects available online and plenty of titles that already have a background image, though is there a name for what it would be if there was some sort of panel or display box overlayed upon the video itself?? I'd love to integrate such display boxes into a series of educational videos that I am editing.

It would be amazing to find some pre-made templates to get me started that are professional and even better have a futuristic element to them and can be inserted over the side of the screen overlayed upon footage of someone speaking - ideally tech displays with semi-transparency that enter from the side kind of thing. Does anyone have any idea if there is a name for this or perhaps a program that is better intended to facilitate this? I'd also love to dive in and learn more about how to edit and tweak these types of overlays within after effects, but was hoping to find some solid and visually stunning templates as a starting point. I notice that Final Cut Pro has a pre-made Apple Motion element under TItles -> Bumper/Opener -> "Overlay", which is similar to what I am interested in creating, though I wonder if there are other styles out there. I've tried virtually every permutation of words I can think of and haven't had any luck finding more than this single overlay. Also, if After Effects isn't the best software to work with text display overlays are there any alternatives that you might recommend?

Many thanks,

Return to posts index

Jonathan Ramsey
Re: Name for Text Panel Overlays?
on Aug 8, 2013 at 5:41:57 pm

These are called lower-thirds. What makes them "overlay" the background video is either the level of transparency or the transfer mode. So, if you have a solid rectangle on which the text resides, you can change the transparency from 100% to something less and it will begin to see-through the rectangle to show layers below it (presumably for you the video). Likewise, you can toggle on and off the transfer mode options (bottom left of the timeline window) or find them in the Layers menu. Each one interacts with the layers beneath it differently for many effects. All of these settings are also key-framable.

Transparency is easiest to access by clicking a layer and hitting "T" on the keyboard. It is also the easiest to work with as you start on this path.


Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 All Rights Reserved