ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

How to "knock out" portion of blended shapes

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Shawn RomanoHow to "knock out" portion of blended shapes
by on Jul 29, 2013 at 1:44:00 pm

Hello. I've worked with AE for almost ten years now but I cannot figure out how to make this work:

I have three shape layers of different colors, all blended with the "add" mode to create a nice pattern (see below and read on).

These shapes' rotation property will be animated. As you can see the center is pure white. What I would like to do is CLEANLY knock out the center portion so that I am only left with the outer shapes. I have tried duplicating this comp with a bunch of different blending modes in hopes of creating a matte source that I could use to knock out the center, but I was unable to find anything that works. I also tried using a luma key, which has yielded really ugly results, even with feathering.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thank you.

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: How to "knock out" portion of blended shapes
by on Jul 29, 2013 at 3:13:41 pm

What if you precomped the entire thing, then used a key to key out the middle color.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Shawn RomanoRe: How to "knock out" portion of blended shapes
by on Jul 29, 2013 at 6:50:50 pm

Thanks. I did try this but it wasn't a very clean key. Tried using luma matte and Keylight. Keylight didn't seem to do anything when I chose white as the key color...

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: How to "knock out" portion of blended shapes
by on Jul 30, 2013 at 12:53:39 pm

I used the basic Keying>Color Key and it worked fine. Are you working with gradients, I ask because you when you mix the 3 colors together in it should produce one color and that should be very easy to knock out.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]