ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Motion Tracking and Particular 2 not cooperating

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Austin HarttMotion Tracking and Particular 2 not cooperating
by on Jul 17, 2013 at 4:00:27 am

So using CameraTracker I have tracked an aerial shot of lower Manhattan and then used Particular to create a smoke cloud that is supposed to look like a rocket smoke trail. The scene tracked just fine and gave me a valid null object but when I try to parent my emitter to the null my smoke trail doesn't track like a 3d layer should. The weird part is that when I watch my position values for the emitter they change when I parent and unparent from the null however the position in the preview window form orthographic view and the active camera remain unchanged. I am just wondering if this is an issue with particular, cameratracker, or me. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Austin

http://reels.creativecow.net/film/trapcode-vs-the-foundry-who-is-really-at-...

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: Motion Tracking and Particular 2 not cooperating
by on Jul 17, 2013 at 1:10:30 pm

To parent emitters to 3D nulls, you need to do a some expression/picking whipping,so if it was me I would use a 3D light. So make a 3D light, parent that to the null, move the light into the position you need it start and finally change the emitter type to "lights"

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Austin HarttRe: Motion Tracking and Particular 2 not cooperating
by on Jul 17, 2013 at 4:58:25 pm

My emitter is a point light and that light is parented to the null, sorry for not making that clear. It still however looks painted on top and not dynamic with the rest of the camera movement. Any other ideas? Do I need to upload my project file or annotate my settings? I appreciate the response though John.

Austin

Return to posts index

by on Jul 17, 2013 at 5:20:07 pm

Before you upload it, I'm starting to question the workflow. I dont' think you should have an emitter parented to a null at all, the smoke/rocket should be it's own object reacting to a CAMERA that's been created from the 3D track you made. I think that's the workflow you need for this project.

If that doesn't work I'll take a look at the project, though I don't have the Foundry's Camera Tracker(do they have a trial version?).

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."

Return to posts index

by on Jul 17, 2013 at 6:05:00 pm

I will upload my project file for you or anyone else interested in finding the issue. I have tried leaving it unparented with the exact same results which is why I am thinking that there is an issue with the way I have workflow disrupted (incorrectly precomped, missing a checkbox, etc.) The file is large so I am going to find a way to trim it down to an uploadable size, then post it here.

Austin

Return to posts index

by on Jul 17, 2013 at 6:47:31 pm

Project file should work here. I'm new to creativecow so I am not sure what their rules are on posting things. If you need the content for the files (not just the workflow) let me know and I will use a different file hosting site to save on the band width here but otherwise you should be able to watch the video I linked in the initial post.
6271_nycdebugcopy.aep.zip
http://reels.creativecow.net/film/trapcode-vs-the-foundry-who-is-really-at-...

Also here is a link to the 15 day trial version of CameraTracker. I recommend it after having compared it to boujou5 (my schools copy not mine(because I don't have $10000)) I had similar results with less tweaking options.
http://www.thefoundry.co.uk/products/cameratracker/try/

Austin

Return to posts index

by on Jul 18, 2013 at 2:51:28 pm

I think it's a foundry issue, the camera only moves from -79 to 30. That's just not going to generate the movement that would correspond to what's seen in the video. Also I think the camera zoom is set a little higher, try a preset like the 24 or 35mm. I think that would more accurately replicate the camera that was used to shoot the NYC video.

I did mess around with your project some, changed the camera to a 28MM zoom preset. Rather then mess with the camera Z keyframes, I animated the Camera TRacker-NullObject(1) that is the parent of the camera. I moved the Null from 0 to 1000. Looked like the smoke/flare was a lot more part of the scene. So mess around with those settings and I think you will get a lot closer to the look you are trying to achieve.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

Return to posts index

by on Aug 11, 2013 at 2:33:45 am

So after much manipulation, I think you are right... Camera tracker is not accurately tracking the scene. Instead of continuing to mess with the tracking data from foundry I just gave the footage to a buddy of mine who has access to boujou5 and no surprise it worked flawlessly. I appreciate the help.

Austin

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]