ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Designing DVD Menu in After Effects

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Randy RubinDesigning DVD Menu in After Effects
by on Jul 17, 2013 at 3:37:07 am

Hi All,

I've designed a DVD menu in After Effects to bring into Encore. My comp has the following specs:

1920x1080
23.976 FPS
Square Pixels

I watched some tutorials and realized that in order to make this compliant with DVD standards I need to use NTSC Widescreen Preset (720x480).

When I change my aspect ratio and attempt to scale down my quicktime and illustrator layers , it appears as if I am doing a squeeze instead of a crop. Will this correct when I bring it into Encore after a render or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks,
Randy

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: Designing DVD Menu in After Effects
by on Jul 17, 2013 at 12:03:54 pm

1080 works with square pixels, NSTC Widescreen works with 1.21 sized pixels. There is a pixel aspect toggle below the comp window, that will stretch the pixels out, that will unsqueeze them, but it causes aliasing. Don't worry, everything will work out when you make your DVD.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Randy RubinRe: Designing DVD Menu in After Effects
by on Jul 17, 2013 at 1:57:31 pm

As I understand, it is okay for me to scale down my 1920x1080 Square Pixel pre-comp into a DV NTSC Widescreen sequence. I should ignore the squeeze and render out a MPEG2-DVD file. Once I bring the sequence into Encore and select Widescreen, the image will normalize.

Does this sound correct?

Would I get higher quality results if I render out a full quality 1920x1080 Animation format file and then transcode inside Encore? Or will I not be able to properly tweak the Aspect Ration/Resolution?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

by on Jul 17, 2013 at 2:38:21 pm

You are correct, it will look find when you bring it into Encore. In Encore, there is a preview button, so you may have to adjust your preview to be 16x9, but if your settings are consistent and correct, Encore will interpret everything correctly.

As far as bit-rates, there is a point of diminishing returns, the preset ones are probably pretty close to the mark, but if you want, you could crank them up to 8000 Max, Target 6000. I doubt you will see a noticeable by going over that.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."

Return to posts index

by on Jul 17, 2013 at 2:41:40 pm

Thanks. I don't know if you saw, but I re-edited my post with a question in regards to obtaining the highest quality encode possible. Here it is again:

"Would I get higher quality results if I render out a full quality 1920x1080 Animation format file and then transcode inside Encore? Or will I not be able to properly tweak the Aspect Ration/Resolution?"

Appreciate all the help.

Return to posts index

by on Jul 17, 2013 at 4:01:14 pm

"Would I get higher quality results if I render out a full quality 1920x1080 Animation format file and then transcode inside Encore?

Must have been cross-posting. I honestly can't answer with any certainty whether transcoding in Encore will give you a better result than down-scaling and encoding in AE, I always just size to my deliverable and create my assets that way.

Or will I not be able to properly tweak the Aspect Ration/Resolution?

99.9% sure that Encore will interpret 1080 correctly into a widescreen format, and even if it didn't, you can always right click on the asset in Encore and change it's pixel aspect ratio if it's incorrect.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

Return to posts index

by on Jul 17, 2013 at 7:34:21 pm

I see. The reason why I thought waiting to transcode in Encore is because Encore seems to always transcode assets, even if the footage is in the proper format. I may be mistaken but this was my experience when I recently worked with footage that I transcoded in Sorenson.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]