ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Negative scaling to reverse text???

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eric ChardNegative scaling to reverse text???
by on Jul 14, 2013 at 5:40:05 am

If you use Negative scaling in a 3d text layer the layer will flip around its anchor point.

What I'm looking for is a way to flip the text around, with the layer, i.e. the bounding box, staying in the same place.

I wasn't able to use the CHARACTER X-Size because it won't accept negative numbers. :(

"Putting the HARM in 'harmonica' since 2005."

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: Negative scaling to reverse text???
by on Jul 15, 2013 at 2:38:39 pm

Can't you enable 3D and rotate the layer on it's Y axis?

Johnny Cuevas, Editor

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Eric ChardRe: Negative scaling to reverse text???
by on Jul 15, 2013 at 5:54:12 pm

I was trying to avoid moving the anchor point.

It's certainly a solvable problem, I was just hoping it was solvable in the way I wanted it to be solvable. ;)

On a related topic: Sometimes programmers bone their users by introducing restrictions where they needn't exist-- limiting scaling for instance to bottom out at zero. For instance, in Lightwave it might have made sense to limit a light's intensity to bottom out at zero, since that makes RW sense, but mathematically there's no reason to. The LW programmers chose not to limit the animators, allowing them to use 'darklights', lights that 'shine darkness', which turn out to be quite useful, although of course impossible in the RW.

Similarly, I wish the AE devs would not limit parameters to 'values that make sense', because nonsensical values can be quite convenient for the animator at times, and being handcuffed by an adherence to inappropriate physical models is short-sighted.

"Putting the HARM in 'harmonica' since 2005."

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved