ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Object exploding into cubes

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
leeor tal
Object exploding into cubes
on Jul 10, 2013 at 8:05:34 pm

Hello all!
I have an object that I want to animate starting top right to bottom left, and finally exploding into cubes on exit.
I don't know any 3d animation programs so I really need to stick to AE.
I could use some tips or tutorials on how best to create the explosion.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
Re: Object exploding into cubes
on Jul 10, 2013 at 8:36:13 pm

You could use the Shatter effect and set the Shape > Pattern to "Squares". Then change the Repetitions and Extrusion Depth to make them cubes.

Shatter takes a little time to learn but the controls haven't changes since I started with AE so even older tutorials should give a pretty good understanding on how to use it.

Basic Shatter: Introduction to the Shatter Effect

Now that Shatter is included in the filter set of After Effects 5.5, many users are asking how to use this effect. In this tutorial, Ben Unguren demonstrates a very simple technique to help get you started with Shatter.

Shatter-Mation in After Effects
Rob Mize introduces "Shatter-Mation", the use of AE's Shatter Effect to animate text, logos and other shapes. Rob demonstrates how the Shatter Effect's Force and Physics parameters can be adjusted to precisely control objects in 3D space for a wide variety of effects and transitions within Adobe After Effects.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

leeor tal
on Jul 10, 2013 at 8:42:19 pm

Thanks for the quick response!
Just one final question:
I want the pieces to go off the screen as they shatter. With the shatter effect they seem to be constrained by the boundaries of the imported image. How can I fix this?

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
on Jul 10, 2013 at 8:57:38 pm

Make a new comp, the size you want your final comp to be(1280x720, for example), drop your image into that comp. Now take that precomp, drop it into the final and shatter it. I made a little example project for you to check out.

Also note how I animate the force, this is the way one determines how and when you shatter an object. If you already know that, pay no attention, but so many people resort to splitting layers/time-remapping because they don't understand how the simulation works.

Some other things, shatter will let you use a comp light and camera. It's a real cool little effect, was WAY ahead of it's time when we first got it in AE.

6247_shatterexamplefolder.zip

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."

Return to posts index

leeor tal
on Jul 10, 2013 at 9:08:08 pm

You just saved me a lot of time and frustration.
Bless you man.

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
on Jul 12, 2013 at 1:07:05 pm

Always happy to help.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]