ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Having Layer move along a different Layer's animated mask, dynamically: expression?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eric ChardHaving Layer move along a different Layer's animated mask, dynamically: expression?
by on Jul 8, 2013 at 6:19:58 pm

I'd like to have a layer follow a different layer's animated mask, dynamically, meaning that if the mask is altered, the layer's path is automatically updated to follow the new mask.

While it is possible to cut and paste a mask (an open mask or path, that is) to the Position channel, you cannot connect a mask path with the Position channel directly, via the Pickwhip. If you try, you get an expression that just says [temp,temp]. (FWIW, it seems to me that if you can cut/paste something, you should be able to pickwhip it.)

What's the proper expression to get a layer to follow another layer's mask, just like you've cut and pasted the mask as a position path?

Thanks!

++++++++++++++++
"Putting the HARM in 'harmonica' since 2005."
++++++++++++++++

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Having Layer move along a different Layer's animated mask, dynamically: expression?
by on Jul 8, 2013 at 9:17:27 pm

That's tough. The reason: a mask's coordinates are determined by the size of the layer, and not the comp itself. Amask on a layer that's short & long looks very different when copied & pasted onto a layer that's square-shaped.

I'd imagine it gets weirder still when involving expressions.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Eric ChardSo, no?: Layer move along a different Layer's animated mask, dynamically: expression?
by on Jul 9, 2013 at 2:46:04 am

So....::crickets::... that's a no?

While what you say is true Dave, one CAN cut and paste a mask into a path, so they've already accomodated whatever complexities exist once.

++++++++++++++++
++++++++++++++++

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: So, no?: Layer move along a different Layer's animated mask, dynamically: expression?
by on Jul 9, 2013 at 4:18:24 pm

Y'know, I'm not sure if it can be accomplished or not by an expression. I don't like using them if the same thing can be accomplished by other methods, and in this case, it can.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Eric ChardRe: So, no?: Layer move along a different Layer's animated mask, dynamically: expression?
by on Jul 9, 2013 at 4:40:01 pm

AFAIK, it cannot be done dynamically without expressions.

++++++++++++++++
++++++++++++++++

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: Having Layer move along a different Layer's animated mask, dynamically: expression?
by on Jul 9, 2013 at 1:16:35 pm

If this could be done, I think it's going to require expressions. Try the Expressions Forum. But if the expression is too complex(cause longer render times), you might find it is easier just to manually copy and paste each time.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]