ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Cut/Paste Shape Layer shape to Text Layer path?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eric Chard
Cut/Paste Shape Layer shape to Text Layer path?
on Jul 4, 2013 at 2:35:00 pm

Is it possible to paste an existing Shape Layer's path into a Text Layer and have the text follow the path?

Tnx

++++++++++++++++
"Putting the HARM in 'harmonica' since 2005."
++++++++++++++++

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
Re: Cut/Paste Shape Layer shape to Text Layer path?
on Jul 4, 2013 at 4:05:38 pm

Yes. Open up the Shape Layer>Contents>Shape 1>Path 1 and click on the word "Path" to highlight it and copy(cnlt+c). Select your Text Layer and create a New Mask(cntl+shift+n). Open up the Mask, click "mask path" and paste(cntl+v) the path from your shape layer. Open up your text properties>Path Options and choose Mask 1 as the path.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Eric Chard
on Jul 4, 2013 at 4:39:03 pm

Dang, i thought that was what I did, but perhaps not.

THANK you John: I'll give it another shot!

++++++++++++++++
++++++++++++++++

Return to posts index

Eric Chard
on Jul 4, 2013 at 4:43:52 pm

John, you are correct, BUT there's an offset I'm still trying to figure out-- one gets the correct shape, but it is offset from the original screen location of the path.

It MAY be relative to the target layer, considering that Masks are relative to their originating layers: that is: while the screen location of a mask is one thing, it's relationship to its layer is another, and pasting to a new layer probably conserves that relationship rather than the screen position.

BUT, at least I can paste! Mucho obligado!

++++++++++++++++
++++++++++++++++

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
on Jul 7, 2013 at 2:38:14 pm

You can work around this by creating your text with the "Cntl+Alt+Shift+T" shortcut. This will make a new text layer the size of your comp, should be the same size as your shape layer too.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Eric Chard
on Jul 7, 2013 at 4:46:08 pm

That will work, although preplanning it will make a big difference, because the text insertion point is in the middle of layer... test test test.... Actually, I'm not certain there's any 'layer' beyond the text that you type in, but the DBLCLK Rectangle does create a mask that covers the entire comp area, so I guess it does?

Found an oddity-- see attached pic: DBLCLK Rectangle on a Text layer created w/the Text Tool does not create a mask that covers the entire layer, nore even the entire (entered) text: it made a mask the size of the comp, but centered on the text insertion point. There's logic to the mask placement regarding the text Justification setting, but it's a little surprising. This one is Left justifed:

--Yeah, the mask seems to always be centered around the insertion point, and is the size of the comp, even if that causes entered text to be cut off. This one is Right justified:

++++++++++++++++
++++++++++++++++

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]