ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Make objects pop up at different times

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
TImi Boose
Make objects pop up at different times
on Jul 3, 2013 at 7:09:33 am

I know this should be really easy. I have a Photoshop file in layers - one layer is a bunch of cartoony flowers dotted on a landscape. I just want them to be revealed one at a time and then at the end they will all be there. What is the best way to do this? I've drawn a mask around each one hoping to do it that way, but can't figure out how to make each mask reveal one at a time. Probably would have been best to put each flower on a separate layer but is that really necessary?

Return to posts index

Ashish Gupta
Re: Make objects pop up at different times
on Jul 3, 2013 at 9:48:25 am

TImi,

The easiest way to do it IMO would be to create separate layers fod each flower .. There's a script called masks2layers at aescripts.com

http://aescripts.com/maskstolayers/

than keyframe scale of each layer and shift layers on timeline using sequence layers.

If u want to do a random reveal you can easily shift'em manually or can use another handy little script called layerrandomshifter from aescripts.com

http://aescripts.com/layer-random-shifter/

Ashish Gupta
Motiongraphics artist and 3d generalist

aashi.29nov@gmail.com

Return to posts index

Jeff Kay
on Jul 3, 2013 at 4:51:25 pm

My first thought is also to cut up the flowers into layers. Though if you have already masked the way you want, you can use masks (with no work done cutting into layers should be faster, but if the masks are already set, you should just be able to work with those). You can keyframe mask opacity, so time those keyframes as you want the flowers to appear.

Return to posts index

TImi Boose
on Jul 3, 2013 at 6:39:16 pm

Hi Thanks,

I got that part to work - I keyframed the opacity of the masks - although it takes a while! It wouldn't allow me to select all of them and make the change at once the way it does in layers. I will keep that in mind for the future.
Is there a way to divide parts of the layer into more layers in AE or would I have had to do that in Photoshop?

Return to posts index

Jeff Kay
on Jul 3, 2013 at 7:40:10 pm

Select the layer with the masks on it. Hit "t" twice. This should bring up all of the mask opacities. You can some or all of them and make changes to all at the same time, though this would mean that the keyframes will be placed in the same spot.

AE is not photoshop. It reads PSD files extremely well, but it will not make changes to PSD files. You can sort of cut up layers in AE, kind of like what you just did, but its certainly going to be faster to do it in PS. Depending on what changes you made, you won't necessarily even need to bring the PSD file back into AE as it will update just by looking at the PSD file. Sometimes you may have to "reload footage", though I'm not certain if AE will handle addition and subtraction of layers from the PSD file or just modification of existing layers.

Return to posts index

Eric Chard
on Jul 3, 2013 at 11:28:53 pm

Use HOLD KEYFRAMES on your Mask Shape.

++++++++++++++++
"Putting the HARM in 'harmonica' since 2005."
++++++++++++++++

Return to posts index

Eric Chard
on Jul 3, 2013 at 11:32:20 pm

Another way:

Assuming your flowers are all on one layer, select the layer and hit DUPLICATE as many times as your # of flowers. Then distribute the layers in time, and use a simple rectangular mask on each layer.

Alternatively, you could draw the masks BEFORE duplication, and turn/delete the masks from the duplicated layers.

++++++++++++++++
"Putting the HARM in 'harmonica' since 2005."
++++++++++++++++

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]