ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

How to make a photoshop image last longer in the sequence

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
TImi Boose
How to make a photoshop image last longer in the sequence
on Jul 3, 2013 at 6:45:32 am

Hi - it seems like this should be really simple. I made my comp longer after doing a bunch of timed stroke effects. Now I need to stretch the layers out to last longer in the timeline and it won't let me do it. I really don't want to start from scratch - it took a lot of time - any suggestions?

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
Re: How to make a photoshop image last longer in the sequence
on Jul 3, 2013 at 11:56:33 am

if the layer is an image you should be able to simply drag the outpoint (the right edge of the layer in the timeline) to lengthen the duration.

if the image layer is in a nested comp, you will need to either adjust the nested comps duration and the layers within it, or, if nothing animates within the nested comp, you could do a freeze frame (layer>time>freeze) and then drag the outpoint to the new duration... or time stretch the nested comp.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Jeff Kay
on Jul 3, 2013 at 4:45:13 pm

If you want the animation to play at the same speed and have the end of the animation last longer, then you can also just increase the duration of that composition (the duration of the comp that is the layer you are trying to stretch).

If you want the animation to take longer (e.g. originally it was 15 sec and you need it to take 30 sec), then the fastest dirty way to do this is to stretch. In the timeline window next to the layer you should have the in/out/duration/stretch pane (might be hidden depending on how you have your view setup, turned on by the little buttons in the bottom left of the timeline window). Click on stretch for the layer you want to change and you can adjust by a % factor or a final duration. Note: this changes the timing of the composition and any animations within, also stretch does not handle footage well, though it does seem to handle still images and any AE created effects. If stretch isn't sufficient, then you'll have to increase the duration of the animation comp and drag keyframes.

Return to posts index

TImi Boose
on Jul 3, 2013 at 6:36:15 pm

Hi Thanks,

It is not in a nested comp. It is really simple but not allowing me to drag the bar longer out into the comp.
It is just a sky on one layer and grass on the next - I did a scribble effect on one and venetian blinds on the other at the beginning when they originally appear. After that some flowers pop up in the grass. I just want the grass and sky to stay on the screen the whole time while the flowers are popping up but it gets to the end of the bar and they disappear. If I time stretch it, it would make the scribble and venetian blind effects take too long i think.

I originally had the comp set for 10 seconds and after adding effects and keyframes needed it to be longer , so I changed it to 20 seconds but it won't let me drag each layer out any longer than 10 seconds. I would think this is something that is done all the time.

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
on Jul 3, 2013 at 6:48:02 pm

What type of files are the layers? Post a screen capture(third icon from the right) of you timeline, it will help in determining the problem.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Eric Chard
on Jul 3, 2013 at 11:34:40 pm

If it's an animation, it's an animation, not a frame.

Turn on TIME REMAPPING. This will allow you to hold on the last frame of your layer.

++++++++++++++++
"Putting the HARM in 'harmonica' since 2005."
++++++++++++++++

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]