ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Most efficient way to do this?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Esther Casas
Most efficient way to do this?
on Jun 26, 2013 at 11:01:50 pm

Hello!

I am trying to recreate what you see in this picture. This is a dance movie clip.I just want to get the "silhouette" of these two two dancers, like a drawing line, everything else being black or any color, but with no information. I know I can do it with AE without tracing a mask around them...I just can't find how. this picture is taken from a video done in premiere, where they used the convolution kernel effect and the levels after. I can't find this effect in AE (thought it was the kernel, but is not).By the way, these dancers are NOT shoot on greenscreen, the background is white, and she is wearing a white dress...

Anyone knows how to do this in AE CS6? any ideas will help!
thank you all!!!!

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
Re: Most efficient way to do this?
on Jun 27, 2013 at 12:07:06 am

Try the Stylize>Find Edges effect. Depending on your original image you may need to invert next, desaturate and add a levels effect to crush the black. Also you might need to mess around with junk mattes to get rid of any extra lines you have dancing around, but that method should give you a pretty good starting point.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Esther Casas
on Jun 27, 2013 at 12:24:03 am

John! thank you soooo much! I was getting crazy trying to find it...thank you! it works great!

Now I have another question...is the next thing I like to do: once I have done this silhouettes I need the dancers to be transparent inside, being visible only the lines, so I can put another background "inside them"...What is the way to do this? Also, I might want only them to be transparent, so no alpha, but I need the background where they are now still solid. The problem is that but they are the same colors...I am confused trying to do this. How to do it?

thank you!!!!

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
on Jun 27, 2013 at 1:06:29 am

Can you upload a screen shot(third icon from the right) so I can see where you are at in terms of your image?

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."

Return to posts index

Esther Casas
on Jun 27, 2013 at 1:36:56 am

Sure John! :)

here, the original shot and what I did with Stylize: find edges

i need the dancers to be transparent so i can put another moving background inside them...

Return to posts index

Esther Casas
on Jun 27, 2013 at 1:43:06 am

I didn't say I don't mind the background being black and them white lines or the opposite...it will work both ways...buT IN THE END I MIGHT GO FOR BLACK BACKGROUND AND WHITE LINES FOR THE DANCERS, in case this info helps for the transparency issue...thank you!

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
on Jun 27, 2013 at 2:20:05 am

The optimum way would be to create an alpha channel of the dancers using one of the keying effects, but you have white on off-white there so that might be difficult. If I were you I would take some time to explore that, but I have a feeling you are going to need to use the roto-brush to isolate the dancers. If the camera isn't moving, you also could try a keying >difference matte.

Really it all boils down to creating a matte of the dancers you to project the other background.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

Return to posts index

Esther Casas
on Jun 27, 2013 at 2:49:34 am

John! thank you so much. I am going to try this and let you know what happens...wish me luck! you saved me today! talk soon!:)

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Jun 27, 2013 at 4:42:59 am

BTW, the Cartoon effect has more control than the Find Edges effect does. Just set Render to Edges.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Eric Chard
on Jun 29, 2013 at 8:35:12 pm

IMO the director needs to be slapped: if they want this effect, it can be accomplished a thousand times more easily if properly shot.

Very very bad practice. And that's the polite version. 'Fix it in post' is a very foolish attitude.

++++++++++++++++
"Putting the HARM in 'harmonica' since 2005."
++++++++++++++++

Return to posts index

Esther Casas
on Jun 29, 2013 at 8:55:57 pm

yes..i know, i am still trying to figure this out... :(

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
on Jul 1, 2013 at 2:13:01 pm

Are you stuck on anything in particular?

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

Return to posts index

Esther Casas
on Jul 8, 2013 at 2:51:13 pm

Hi J,
thks for the message. Yes! I am still stuck with this..trying to isolate them (the dancers) so I can put another background underneath them, I need them to be transparent, isolating them form the background.

I have done the cartoon effect to try and isolate them, then tried the rotobrush to get an isolated mask of them, but is not working very well...her dress is almost exactly the same color as the background...trying to avoid to rotoscope the whole scene, it will take me forever :(

more ideas?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]