ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Cool Music Video Noise Effect

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ollie InglisCool Music Video Noise Effect
by on Jun 26, 2013 at 9:27:46 am

Hi Y'all,
Saw this video come out recently

and was really interested how they get that noise over at 0:08 onwards. (it is not just some noise layer over the top as it effects and responds to the colors of the layer below) It is used throughout the whole video so you should see the effect i mean. I would really appreciate a reply which would guide me from going from a completely normal piece of hd digital footage and to get it eventually looking like this.

Thanks a lot guys,

All the best,

Ollie Inglis

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: Cool Music Video Noise Effect
by on Jun 26, 2013 at 11:17:27 am

Looks to be a combination of using multiple layers/shift channels/transfer modes/displacement maps.

For an explanation on shifting channels, check out this thread: http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/2/1017662

Of course for a few bucks you can just buy the BadTV script.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Ollie InglisRe: Cool Music Video Noise Effect
by on Jun 26, 2013 at 2:50:51 pm

Hey john,

thanks for the quick reply - much appreciated. i am fairly new to after effects, so would it be possible for a quick list how how to use these effects to achieve this effect? for example duplicate this layer, shift the channels on that layer ect just so i get a rough idea of how to use them together? or perhaps a quick project file would be easier? thanks a lot for the help,

All the best,
Ollie

Return to posts index

by on Jun 26, 2013 at 3:01:39 pm

I might be able to put something together later and go into more detail, but my first link contains a detailed explanation on the shift channel effect along with a project file. Check that out first and if you still need help, let me know.

Also do some searches in both forums on Bad Tv_distortion effects, you'll come across other recipes for creating that look.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."

Return to posts index

Ollie InglisRe: Cool Music Video Noise Effect
by on Jun 26, 2013 at 3:42:04 pm

Great, I have checked out both links. I am still slightly in the dark- so i would really appreciate your offer of a project file later. Thanks alot

Return to posts index

by on Jun 27, 2013 at 1:02:17 am

I made a quick and dirty example project that I hope gives you some ideas on how to attempt this technique. In the color shift precomp, I took the layer and added the effect Channel > Color Shift. This effect gives you the ability to change/shift your color channels. In this effect we are going to turn off the channels but one, duplicate the layer 3 times, and set a different channel for each layer(RGB). Next we are going to set the layers transfer mode to screen, so that when all the layers lined up, everything looks normal, but if we move the position of one layer, you get the look of an old tv out of alignment.
Rather than use keyframes to offset the position, I used a couple of expressions using wiggle, to move the layers back and forth.

Next I created a fractal noise composition. Tweaked the settings to give create the time of static burst and used a some expressions to offset the layer and to change the evolution.

I took both of these precomps and dropped them into a final comp. I dragged the original video and dropped it in the final comp also. On the Color shift layer, I added the effect Distort > Displacement map and for the map, I used the Fractal Noise layer and adjusted that to taste. Then changed the transfer mode of the color shift layer to hard light and dialed the opacity down to 65%. Finally I put a quick color correction over the entire thing.

Also in your effects and presets, check out the BADTV effects, couple of those will help you out in creating this effect. 6183_badtvfolder.zip

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

Return to posts index

Chris NealRe: Cool Music Video Noise Effect
by on Jun 27, 2013 at 2:13:46 am

Andrew Kramer has a pretty cool plugin called "Twitch" that could give you the effect you are looking for.

https://www.videocopilot.net/products/twitch/

There is a link for you!

http://chrisneal.tv

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]