ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Jumping directly to a specific frame HOTKEY

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eric Chard
Jumping directly to a specific frame HOTKEY
on Jun 25, 2013 at 6:29:34 am

IIRC, ctrl+F used to bring up a dialog that would jump you to a entered frame. (now ctrl+F is the "Find" function.)

I would MUCH rather use a hotkey than laboriously roll my cursor over to the frame counter. But everywhere I look on the intertubez for this I just find people asking "how duz eye advanced the framez by wuns?" --That question has been answered many many times. Mine, not so much.

And, am I correct in recalling the old hotkey?

++++++++++++++++
"Putting the HARM in 'harmonica' since 2005."
++++++++++++++++

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
Re: Jumping directly to a specific frame HOTKEY
on Jun 25, 2013 at 12:19:10 pm

It used to be "Cntl+G" at one point, but they took that away. But if you click in the timeline Timecode window you can type in a specific timecode or frame number and jump to it that way.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jun 25, 2013 at 1:47:33 pm

If you KNOW you want to return to a specific point in the timeline later, timeline markers work beautifully for this.

Put the timeline cursor where you want it, hit Shift>0-9 (main keyboard, not numeric keypad) to make the marker. To return, hit the appropriate number on the main keyboard.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Jun 25, 2013 at 2:31:15 pm

from After Effects Help:
"To go to a specific frame, click in the time ruler; click the current-time display in the Footage, Layer, Composition, or Timeline panel; or press Alt+Shift+J (Windows) or Option+Shift+J (Mac OS)."

This keyboard shortcut changed five versions ago when we made some changes to have more consistent keyboard shortcuts with Illustrator.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
on Jun 25, 2013 at 3:06:48 pm

Thanks Todd, I always wondered what happened to Cntl+G or Shift+G...been so long I can't remember.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Eric Chard
on Jun 29, 2013 at 8:44:18 pm

Yeah, that's what I remember: "G" for "GO"

I suppose J is for Jump. >8^)

I have yet to find a hotkey reference that is formatted in a way useful to myself. IMO it needs to be twofold:

One by function - but this is quite difficult, because the functions span several windows and I suspect vary subtle for some functions.

One 'alphabetical'.

Maybe a third, just by window.

So, that document is getting quite long.

For some reason, the official Adobe layouts I find near-useless: they share that design disease I call 'macitis', in that there's too much whitespace and the fonts are freekin' tiny.

++++++++++++++++
"Putting the HARM in 'harmonica' since 2005."
++++++++++++++++

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]