ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Constraining one side while moving another.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bob RuheConstraining one side while moving another.
by on Jun 24, 2013 at 9:34:07 pm

Newbie question I'm sure. I create a rectangle in AE. I want the left side to be locked into place while moving the right side. How to best do this?

Any help is appreciated. And please forgive me for such a rookie question.

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: Constraining one side while moving another.
by on Jun 24, 2013 at 10:29:43 pm

I'm going to assume you used the rectangle/shape tool to create your rectangle. There is probably a better method for doing this, but here is one method. Use the Pan/Anchor Point tool(Y) to move the anchor point to the side you want to be stationary. You can actually move past that side. Now press scale(S) and, unlock the scales from one another and scale up/down and rectangle will move from the anchor point side.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Bob RuheRe: Constraining one side while moving another.
by on Jun 25, 2013 at 12:01:47 am

Thank you for the fast reply. I did use the rectangle tool - and as you suggested, and I have tried moving the anchor point but I still get some "creep" in the side I want to keep stationary. Playing with the anchor point still results in movement - but I have to think there's a way to lock it in place. A coworker suggested using a line instead, but I also have to think I can get the result I want somehow with the rectangle tool. Can't imagine something like this isn't possible in AE.

Return to posts index

Eric ChardRe: Constraining one side while moving another.
by on Jun 25, 2013 at 5:45:50 am

A coworker shared this tip the other day, amazing how useful it is:

The problem is you haven't nailed the left side perfectly. To snap the Anchor Point while using the Pan Behind tool, hold down the ctrl key.

TMK it won't snap to an EDGE, but it will snap to a corner.

(I think it would be GREAT if we could just grab a SIDE instead of all this futzing around.)

++++++++++++++++
"Putting the HARM in 'harmonica' since 2005."
++++++++++++++++

Return to posts index

Bob RuheRe: Constraining one side while moving another.
by on Jun 25, 2013 at 6:02:52 am

That's it! Thanks so much. I was going crazy with this one. I very much appreciate your help!

Return to posts index

Eric ChardRe: Constraining one side while moving another.
by on Jun 29, 2013 at 8:45:35 pm

Tip sharing is Good.

I just worked with a bunch of great AE operators and everybody was very generous with supplying knowledge. Pass it forward.

++++++++++++++++
"Putting the HARM in 'harmonica' since 2005."
++++++++++++++++

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]