ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Color management for f55 footage

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nicholas MunroColor management for f55 footage
by on Jun 24, 2013 at 11:49:59 am

Hi all,

I need HELP!!

I am about to start a vfx job in AFX CC and I have to work out how to colour manage it.

I am working on .movs coming from a Sony f55, in log colourspace.
I have to composite vfx in After Effects then output in the original (log) colourspace for ingest to Avid Nitris for final colour grade.

I want to NOT have to use a LUT adjustment layer, I would rather interpret the footage and work in linear but render outputs in log.

I HAVE NO EXPERIENCE of this and could be considered a LAYMAN when it comes to issues of colourspace!! Can anyone help!

Thank you,
N. Munro

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Color management for f55 footage
by on Jun 24, 2013 at 11:10:43 pm

This page is a good place to start to learn about color management in After Effects. After you've gone through the materials on that page and linked to from it, let us know if you have any questions.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Tero AhlforsRe: Color management for f55 footage
by on Jun 26, 2013 at 4:31:35 am

[Nicholas Munro] "I want to NOT have to use a LUT adjustment layer"

Ummmm... Why not? I pretty much always work in the same color space as the footage and use a LUT etc to see how the effect is matching up.

Return to posts index

Nicholas MunroRe: Color management for f55 footage
by on Jun 26, 2013 at 8:21:50 am

I'm worried about colour picking for my vfx, having no experience of log/LUT arrangements, I'd feel more comfortable in a linear colour space when it comes to white/black levels, picking colours for lazers/explosions etc...

As I say, I hav eno experience of this, so maybe I'm being unnecessarily cautious!

I really appreciate any advice on this!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]