ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Problem with duplicating compositions

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michal Bronec
Problem with duplicating compositions
on Jun 20, 2013 at 5:43:59 pm

I am editing this template: http://videohive.net/item/grunge-media-presentation/27996
As you can see, there are 5 placehoders, but i need 10. These placeholders are in 5 compositions (title 1, 2, 3, 4, 5) within the main composition. I duplicated 5x times the last of them (title 5) on a timeline which works ok, but the problem is that all the new placeholders are still linked to the last composition (title 5), so I cant put different media in them. What should I do? Is there a way how to linke the duplicated titles 6-10 to another compositions so I can put different medias in them?
BTW, when I create a new compositions and add them to the timeline, I loose the 3D camera movement. I am AE novice and I need some quick and easy solution. Thanks for any help!

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
Re: Problem with duplicating compositions
on Jun 20, 2013 at 7:28:57 pm

Right click the placeholder in the timeline and select "Reveal Layer Source in Project", not in the project window duplicate the file. Open up these new compositions and add your images/videos, then drag them into your timeline.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Michal Bronec
on Jun 20, 2013 at 8:04:23 pm

I already did this, but the problem is that every placeholder has some (3D camera) setting on the timeline, so when I drag new composition on the timeline, these settings are gone. I dont understand these 3D settings, so I have to find out another way how to duplicate it.

Return to posts index

Michal Bronec
on Jun 20, 2013 at 8:45:35 pm

It would be great if I just could replace the particular composition on the timeline, but keep the 3D camera settings that are there.

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
on Jun 21, 2013 at 3:05:06 am

Without seeing the project/settings/how the artist set it up, it's nearly impossible to tell you what needs to be duplicated.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
on Jun 21, 2013 at 11:32:52 am

You know, if you upload the .aep file, I could take a look and tell you what layers need to be duplicated and such, you don't need to upload the assets/video. Just use the last icon above to upload, if you're interested.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

Return to posts index

Michal Bronec
on Jun 21, 2013 at 12:38:17 pm

Ok, thanks! Here it is.
6169_grungemediapresentation.aep.zip
BTW, I have AE CS4.

Return to posts index

William Scholik
on Jun 21, 2013 at 1:18:10 pm

It looks like you could dupe the title comp in the main comp(timeline) to get your camera moves. In an effort for this easier to follow I'll call this "Main" Then go up to the project files and dupe a title comp there. I'll call this "Title6". Next click on "Main" in your timeline. Then click on "Title6" up in your project files. You then hold down alt and drag "Title6" down on top of "Main" This should replace "Main" in your timeline with "Title6" you can now open "Title6" and change it to whatever you want and it will still have the camera moves that you want. I hope makes some sense. I'm a little long winded. Good Luck.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”
― Albert Einstein

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
on Jun 21, 2013 at 1:52:50 pm

William describes the procedure exactly the way I just did it. It's actually pretty beginner stuff, so if are planning on doing more projects and the like, I would strongly suggest you check out, Getting started with After Effects (CS4, CS5, CS5.5, CS6, & CC).

Anyway, to help you out though I extended the project out to 10 titles. If you have any more questions, just let us know. 6170_grungemediapresentationcs5.zip

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

Return to posts index

Michal Bronec
on Jun 21, 2013 at 2:19:03 pm

Thanks John, but I have AE CS4 :-(

Dupe means duplicate?

Return to posts index

Michal Bronec
on Jun 21, 2013 at 2:26:47 pm

With alt and drag I just place title6 comp on timeline without the 3D camera movements.

Return to posts index

Michal Bronec
on Jun 21, 2013 at 2:40:44 pm

Oh, I didnt click on the main comp before it. Now it works! Thanks!

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
on Jun 21, 2013 at 2:48:11 pm

I'll break the entire process down step by step from the start.

1. Open your main comp, press Cntl+K and change your duration to 60 seconds.
2. Double click the "Room" layer to open precomp, double click "Floor" layer to open precomp. Cntl+K and change duration to 60 seconds. Press "End", "Cntl + A" and "alt + ]" to extend the Floor.pngs to the length of the comp.
3. Return to "Room" precomp and change the duration to 60 seconds and extend all layers to the duration of the comp.
4. Return to main comp, press "End", select layer "Camera 1", "Brightness" and "Color" and "Room" and entend to the duration of the comp.
5. In the timeline duplicate "Titles5" and "Your Text Here 5"(Cntl+D). Move them down below the original layers--they should now be layers 12 and 13.
6. Select "Titles5"(layer 10) and press "U" to reveal the keyframes. Hold down shift and move toe the 2nd to last keyframes(holding shift will snap you to those keyframes). You should be at 26:03 right now. Now select the duplicated layers and press "[". That will move them into position you need.
7. In the Project window, open the folder "Titles" and duplicate "Title5", when you do this it will automatically rename it "Title6". Just to make sure you are doing everything correctly, open up this comp, and change the text to be "PLACEHOLDER 6".
8. In the main comp, select your duplicated "Title5" layer. In the project window, select your comp "Title6" and press "cntl+alt+/". This replaces sources, but keeps all the keyframes and effects.
9. Repeat these steps for as many layers as you need to finish the project. Then move the layers "End Title" & "Company Logo" to the end and you should be good.

Sorry I don't have a CS4 version around or I'd update your project for you. Hope this explanation helps you out...

ETA: looks like you got it all worked out, glad we were able to help you out.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

Return to posts index

Eric Chard
on Jun 29, 2013 at 8:49:37 pm

I was trying to follow this, but got lost in the weeds:

Is the problem the OP wasn't using the 3D camera in the MAIN comp?

++++++++++++++++
"Putting the HARM in 'harmonica' since 2005."
++++++++++++++++

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]