ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Collapse Transformations Issues

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike MacKenzieCollapse Transformations Issues
by on Jun 19, 2013 at 3:56:57 pm

This is kind of a general question. Like many of you, I create a lot of Illustrator files to animate. I often have issues with jaggies and collapse transformations(CT) though. I understand that CT needs to be active so that my art stays sharp when I zoom in, but often what will happen is the layer or comp will end up losing camera perspective, position, etc. These problems are compounded when comps are nested. Sometimes I am working with small Illustrator files that need to be zoomed in on, and either I get jaggies or collapse transforms screws things up. I'd like to be able to solve this within AE rather than simply enlarge things in Illustrator (which would complicate a lot of existing projects).

I feel like there are some obvious rules I am unaware of. Any suggestions or advice is greatly appreciated!

Motion Graphics Designer / Art Director
Boston, MA

Mountain Lion on SSD
2 x 2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
NVIDIA Quadro FX 4800

Return to posts index

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: Collapse Transformations Issues
by on Jun 23, 2013 at 4:32:14 pm

Rule # 1 is to create your AI files as large is you require them to be without having to scale them up. Oftentimes, the actual size you require cannot be forethought. Hence, AE allows for scaling AI files beautifully - provided the CT (or Continuously Rasterize) switch is enabled.

As for your issue with AE files losing camera perspectives, it is likely that you have forgotten to make the precomp a 3D layer.

It is insufficient that the higher level comp (or nested comp) is 3D AND it had CT enabled. When CT is enabled for a nested comp, AE reaches into the precomp to calculate transforms. Hence, if your precomp is 2D, this 2D-ness will be translated into the higher level comp.

Intensive mocha & AE Training in Singapore and Other Dangerous Locations

Imagineer Systems (mocha) Certified Instructor
& Adobe After Effects CS6 ACE

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved