ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Clips in AE: replacing, virtual clips, editing

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eric ChardClips in AE: replacing, virtual clips, editing
by on Jun 18, 2013 at 6:33:23 pm

How can one:

look at a FOOTAGE item in AE, make an in/out selection, and then drag that clip to replace a comp Layer???

Without screwing any other use of that footage item up, of course.

I'm kinda more used to the concepts of 'virtual' clips in various editing packages than in the rather basic (TMK) implementation in AE.

THANKS!

++++++++++++++++
"Putting the HARM in 'harmonica' since 2005."
++++++++++++++++

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: Clips in AE: replacing, virtual clips, editing
by on Jun 18, 2013 at 7:22:02 pm

Double click the layer to bring up the footage window. You can set your in and out's using the icons "{" and "}" symbols below the window. You can replace the layer by selecting the layer you want to replace in the timeline, then alt+drag the new layer and drop it on top of the old layer. If the layers are a different duration the replacement layer will end up being the length of the old layer. The short-cut keys to do this are after you select the two layers are "cntl+alt+/"

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Eric ChardRe: Clips in AE: replacing, virtual clips, editing
by on Jun 18, 2013 at 10:44:34 pm

1) When you alt drag the clipped footage, must you drag it from the Project Window? 'Cuz I'm not having any luck dragging it from the Footage Window.

2) Also, if you change the I/O points, will that affect other clips that used that footage, or is it safe once it's inside a comp?

THANKS, your help is much appreciated.

++++++++++++++++
++++++++++++++++

Return to posts index

by on Jun 19, 2013 at 11:42:23 am

1. You drag from the comp window.
2. I was mistaken about the TC, once you drag the clip from the project window into the timeline, it takes on the TC of the layer in the timeline. So the best you can really do is just move the current time indicator to your position in the timeline, drop in the clip and copy paste(or parent) the keyframes the layer you want replaced. Sorry about that.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."

Return to posts index

by on Jun 19, 2013 at 1:49:28 pm

[John Cuevas] "1. You drag from the comp window."

You mean the Footage window, correct? 'Cuz one trims in the Footage window, right?? (Just trying to be exact here.)(And am confused.)

Many thanks!

++++++++++++++++
++++++++++++++++

Return to posts index

by on Jun 19, 2013 at 3:40:45 pm

Geez, there are some days I wish I could claim English was my second language when I make silly mistakes like that. you want to alt+drag the asset from the project window and drop it on top of the asset to be replaced in the timeline.

Because you want to use edit the in's and outs, what I would do is first alt+drag the click and replace it in the timeline, then double click the layer in the timeline, find your in-point and click the "{" icon. Using this method will probably be the quickest way to replace the footage and set your inpoints and keep the proper timing of your layers.

Adobe Help

To replace the source footage item for a layer with another footage item, without affecting changes made to the layer properties, select the layer and then Alt-drag (Windows) or Option-drag (Mac OS) the new footage item onto the layer in the Timeline panel.

Sorry Eric for the confusion.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

Return to posts index

by on Jun 23, 2013 at 7:01:29 am

Thanks John.

I think I'd prefer to set the I/O points before dropping it into the timeline, since esp. if the In point is late in the clip, it could have significant leadtime issues.

As long as setting/altering I/O points in a Footage window doesn't affect existing clips already placed in comps, I'm good to go.

THANKS!!!

++++++++++++++++
++++++++++++++++

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]